TechSpot

Question about signatures

By MetalX
Sep 19, 2006
Post New Reply
  1. I was just wondering if we are allowed to have images in our signatures here on TS. I have been on other sites where it is allowed but I wanted to be sure before I put one in.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I am almost certain it is limited to text only here.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I can confirm, that images in signatures are not allowed on Techspot.

Regards Howard :)
  4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,909

Ok, thanks howard. I just wanted to be sure about that.
  5. TheEnigma

TheEnigma TS Rookie

well i noticed that you are for certain that they're not allowed however, it wouldn't hurt giving it a try? i mean you have to top staff to take care of people who step out of line as far as bringing images with contents not allowed on here, but i personally think sigs are best because they give some type of insight to the creativeness of others :p well anyways i do hope it does get accepted and can be used here :D
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Images waste space and bandwidth.

If one is creative, then she can show off her stuff in the Gallery.
  7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,306   +265

At one point I believe images were allowed here back in the 3DSpotlight days - but it got out of control for many people and made the forums look pretty messy even with size limitations on the images. One line posts took up way too much space.
  8. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

I agree. Techspot looks very clean, and it´s easy to read. Images would make Techspot hard and annoying to read, and people with slow, dial up connections, would suffer even more.
  9. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Even with broadband.. If someone has linked their sig to a slow server, it will take forever to load a thread.
  10. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Another vote for no images in signatures.
  11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,531   +301

No images. We had them in the past and I like it better now without.

12. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr TS Rookie Posts: 61

Me too. I agree.
  13. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

No pics is the way to go!
  14. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

I think on sites devoted to gaming and the like, image sigs are a good choice. But with a site like that, it is better jsut to keep things clean.
  15. bobby123

bobby123 TS Rookie Posts: 391

can i ask? what version of photoshop is required to make signatures which flash.
  16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,531   +301

bobby123 - yes you can, you did right here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic66737.html

And it was answered in there. And this thread has information on images in signatures on techspot, might want to read this thread too.
  17. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Could signatures taller than three lines be somehow prevented (other than me messaging the user who would just ignore me) ?
  18. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

I agree with Mictlantecuhtli, I hate it when I see someone with ~10 lines in their signature; I feel like I have to read it ;) , as well as the fact that it takes up needless space. They should learn just to put up the specs of "1" computer with only it's main parts; we don't need to know what sauldering tool you used to mend the plastic of your case :haha: !
  19. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,532   +315

Is this a persistent problem? Because I can install a hack that can help with this. I remember from a while ago something like this was available.
  20. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

It would be nice if signatures could be no longer than three or 4 lines long. If people want to put their system specs in their signatures, they can just put all the parts on one or 2 lines, with each individual part separated by a vertical bar or a colon or something. I'd say no images in signatures because they make it too full, and as mentioned before, they make one-line posts too long. I've seen other forums where people had size 20 text; I'm not sure if I saw images, but if too large, they get kinda annoying as well.
  21. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I don't know about persistent, but there are some new(ish) members who have quite tall signatures (with PC details in them), and usually the signature is longer than the post itself.
  22. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Well I have like 3-4 lines in my signatures but they arnt annoying like the new ones ;) ( I added color to make it more flashy )
  23. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

ideal signatures i reckon should stay about 3 or less.. up to 5 is ok i guess, but anything above that is plain rediculous...
    1 person likes this.
  24. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 625

Its not too bad with the signatures on this forum. I`ve seen other forums and all you can see are avatars and signatures bloating the screen.
  25. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,532   +315

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.