Question about Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

I just switched to Thunderbird from Outlook Express. I only have access to SLOW dial-up modem connections.

In OE I was able to see each email message and its size including attachments. I could then either double click on it to download it, or I could simply delete it before it downloaded, thereby saving hours a day of wasted time. Is there a way to do this with Thunderbird?

Thanks.

You cannot see these kinds of informations before downloading emails at least when you're using a POP3 account (which is what most people use).

If you have IMAP available on your email account, you can configure Thunderbird to download the message headers & then you'll be able to have such informations without downloading the whole message.

& lastly if you were using Outlook Express with your Hotmail account, you won't be able to use that account with Thunderbird without installing some plug-ins.

on the left pane is a list of Email Accounts
(if your colapse all of the [-] they shrink the tree into a list of your email account names)

right-click->properties
click on Server Settings

UNCHECK Automatically Download
CHECK Fetch Headers Only
click OK​

the body (and attachments) will download ONLY if you click on the message and
you can delete it (the header) and the Server Email itself with the delete [X] menu item

I am using TB version 2.0.0.12

I did everything suggested and clicked on server settings, but I am unable to find anything even close to "automatically download" or "fetch headers only." Could these be located elsewhere in this version?

Thanks again.

I have TB: Thunderbird (version 1.5.0.10 )
and FF Firefox (2.0.0.12)

the option (on 1.5.*) is associated with the email server settings and almost all
email clients have this option somewhere.

Under server settings, the only boxes are:

check for new messages at startup

check for new messages every ___ minutes

when I delete a message _________________

clean up inbox on exit

empty trash on exit

Didou, it does look exactly like that on my POP3 Gmail server settings, but NOT on my IMAP (non-Gmail) server settings. It would be great if I could just download the headers (and sizes) and delete before downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back