Question about USB hard drive (solved) :)

In post 1 I click the recommended one & it does so then shows number 2 & then 3. IF in the first picture I click continue without scanning, it works fine. I did defrag it but didn't fix it.
I do have access to everything on the USB portable harddrive, just would like to get the "error" fiixed if possible.

Run CHKDSK x: /F
where x is the associated drive letter
Did so & post #3 came up again. I had considered transfering EVERYTHING from the USB drive to my harddrive & format it but I'm sure that would take several hours at least.

Hmm; CHKDSK should have prompted to schedule run for reboot and thus Verbatum not involved.

To clarify, this is a Verbatim 465 gb USB portable drive.
I just ran it again & same results. ALL files are still accessible so I guess I'll just leave it as is. ?? Thanks for your help

CLEARLY you have problems: 4,544 bad sectors.

I would:
  1. copy off what ever I could to other media
  2. plan an alternative
by that I mean, you could attempt to reformat the device an hope that it doesn't continue to produce errors but that exposes you to loosing more data in the future. The other choice is "Once bitten, twice shy" - - replace the device altogether.

Ok, originally when I plugged it into a USB port, a slide out pop up told me there was problems with it & to scan it which I did several times over the past month. On one of the pop ups it said "continue with out scanning" so out of curiosity I clicked it & it opened up & I was able to access what I wanted so I began getting confused which is why I asked for help in here.
After it finished today, I unplugged it for a while & plugged it back in & NO more pop ups/slide out warnings so I put (solved) in the title.
So, do you still think I should copy what I can to my pc harddrive & reformat the USB ?? Thank you for your help :)

So, do you still think I should copy what I can to my pc harddrive & reformat the USB ?? Thank you for your help :)
Yes. You have a large collection of bad sectors and unknown freespace - - reformat (lowlevel) or toss it.

1. logon as admin
  2. mount the USB
  3. use cmd prompt to run diskmgmt.msc
  4. locate the ext USB device
  5. click on the DRIVE letter of that USB
  6. the box on the right will be the partition on that device - - there may be more than ONE
  7. right click -> Delete Volume
  8. look for others on this drive and delete all of them
  9. now Create a new Partition (or volume)
  10. consume ALL free space
  11. Use the Format settings; For a large capacity device, use NTFS and be SURE to uncheck [x] Quick Format. This is where the low level rewrite occurs and bad blocks are marked.

1. logon as admin
  2. mount the USB
  3. use cmd prompt to run diskmgmt.msc
  4. locate the ext USB device
  5. click on the DRIVE letter of that USB
  6. the box on the right will be the partition on that device - - there may be more than ONE
  7. right click -> Delete Volume
  8. look for others on this drive and delete all of them
  9. now Create a new Partition (or volume)
  10. consume ALL free space
  11. Use the Format settings; For a large capacity device, use NTFS and be SURE to uncheck [x] Quick Format. This is where the low level rewrite occurs and bad blocks are marked.
Thanks, will attempt it tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Back