Question about WannaCry Windows Patch

emmaringo

Hi all,

Now I don't do Windows Update. Haven't updated or installed any patches for over three years now. Don't ask me why, it's a long story! ;)

What I would like to know is:
1. Can I only install the WannaCry patch, or do I have to install all the previous ones that I have missed?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, can installing only the WannaCry patch cause other problems in my computer? Like registry errors etc. since I have not installed any previous patches in years?

Thank you

Kaspersky have recently posted a report on Wannacry. Surprisingly, XP Home computers have barely been touched by the malware because Windows crashes before it can take hold. It's Windows 7 computers that have been seriously hit. I'd try applying the patch because this is such a serious threat.

I sort of saw this out of the corner of my eye somewhere, (probably here), but I think you may need to be at service pack 3 for the patch to be installed in XP_. (Not sure though).

You clearly ought to install this patch but as you have disabled Windows 7 update it puts you in a very small group of users. Back up any vital files to external storage and install a security solution that offers strong protection against the virus.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I use Windows 7
I believe M$ has gone to a "mass update", which in the past would have been called a "service pack". Obviously nobody has considered a couple of points, which are, you can turn Windows up date back on, and whether or not the patch under discussion is avaliable separately.

AFAIK, M$ has removed the "get Windows 10" BS they were passing off as a "recommended update". You should google the number of that nightmare before you do anything else.

And again AFAIK, the only Windows edition which takes users control of the update process away from the owner, is Windows 10.

Personally, I haven't run into any of this ransomware garbage, and I frequent some dreadful places. (Knock wood).

Also, I too, have Windows update killed in all my PCs. (I used to have it set on "notify me of updates, but don't download or install them"). That so I could pick and choose what to install, not place myself at Redmond's mercy.

With that said, I force my banks to still send me paper statements, and any "art media" I might own, is backed up to an air gapped computer.

Last edited:
Back