Question about wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "partially" wireless home network. Two computers and a PS3 hardwired, one laptop and a media streaming device wirelessly connected.
My problem is that the media streaming device has only WEP security, it does not recognize WPA at all. I am planning on hardwiring this device, eventually (for a year now), but I am wondering, How at risk am I with this setup? The area I live in is fairly spread out, that is, the houses are not on top of one another.
I was able to connect to my neighbors network wirelessly, but it was a very weak signal. Please be aware that I only did this one time, just to see if mine could also be "intruded".
I realize people Wardrive nowadays also. I do have my router set up to not display my network SSID, Mac filtering enabled, only allows MAC addresses listed to connect and so on. I know this is stuff can be hacked fairly easily.
Anything else I should do, until I hardwire the media device?

If your using MAC coding then your safe enough as the router will only allow PC's with a set MAC to connect.

WEP is pretty weak and can be hacked, however the chances of someone sitting outside your house and spending the time is virtually nil, most will move on and find one of the abundant unsecured points to use.

you've done well :)

Your efforts will be effective in stopping a wardive from accessing the network and
using your Internet connection [a].

However, with a packet sniffer, the TCP traffic will still be in open text and you are
using R.F. to broadcast that data. The only way to ensure the packets can not be
read-as-captured, is ANY form of encryption. [c]

[a]- in reality, even with the steps you've taken, the SSID can be discovered as well as
the MAC address -- sure stinks! Joe average will not have the equipment or the skills,
but if the CIA/NSA camps outside your door -- they certainly will be able to do so.

Security is never absolute and much more like a maze -- make'm run about over coming one issue after another and USUALLY they will give up -- someone else will be an easier target :)

[c]- WEP has been shown to be easily cracked and WPA can be too, albeit with much more effort. WPA2 is the best we have at the moment.
Due to the horse power to perform WPA2, it may impact thruput and with [a] already in place, you *might* get by with simple WEP anyway.

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back