Question on Mobo and memery max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres my info was wondering If anyone could tell me the max amount of mem in ddr I can place on this mobo ( i know its a pos ) ~~

BIOS ID: 62-0429-001131-00101111-040201-SiS735-K7S5A
OEM Sign-On: K7S5A Release 04/29/2002 S
BIOS Date: 04/29/02
BIOS Type: AMI
Chipset: SiS 735 rev 1
Super I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
BIOS ROM Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
CPU: AMD 1200 Mhz MAX: 1200 Mhz

Ok I have 1 gb ddr pc2100 266mhz have no clue about the dimm etc Was given to me by a friend who couldnt use it in his comp. My comp boots with it reads the memory correct goes to windows restarts. Will boot in safe mode but nothing else after that. Is there any way to tell the other specs on this memory. Forgive my ignorance just now learning about comps. Thank you !

What are you trying to run right now? Are you running with two sticks at different sizes/speeds?

atm i have 512ddr pc 2700 Im trying to run 1 stick of 1gb pc 2100 266mhz and comp boots resets then will boot to safe mode , rinse repeat

Download www.memtest.org and put it on a floppy disk so you can run it in dos.

Then pop that single stick of 1Gb in, and try running the memtest software on it. See if the ram is faulty. Let it run for 6 or 7 passes (it'll take a few hours).

If it passes all the tests, then try updating your motherboard's bios and see if that fixes you up. If it doesn't, then I think it is simply that this particular ram is not compatible with your motherboard.

It looks like your board can handle a max of 1Gb, but that may mean two sticks of 512mb. It may not be too good at using one stick of 1Gb (one possibility anyways).

OKie Did the memtest came out fine still same problem boots up recognizes 1gb of mem gets to windows boot shuts down. Now I am terrified of trying to update this bios , knowing that atm i know very little about comps. Any ideas on the safest way to identify my bios and to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back