Question on power supply ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffo

OK, I feel like a real ***** -- we've been having some issues that I think may be power supply related. I'm trying to see what I've actually got in terms of a power supply, BUT...I can't find my original documentation that would list it (that's bad, I know, I think it's just filed somewhere where I can't lay hands on it), AND I can't seem to find anything on my computer, i.e., Device manager, etc., that identifies the psu by name, wattage, etc.

I'm running XP, can't find it under Device manager or anywhere else. I don't want to take the unit apart (yet). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

open the case dude, its hardly what you would call taking it apart. Look at the label on the psu.

I just find it hard to believe that I can't find it in the System Info or Device Manager or some place like that.

Device manager won't show you info about your fans either.
They don't have any kind of rom chips on them to tell the computer what they are.
Is it really too much of a problem to open the case door and look at the psu? :cool:

Power supplies are connected to the rest of the computer only via power lines. Only the most advanced models let you access the fan speed via software. You have to look at the sticker on the PSU to get any info. Or, the detailed specifications provided by your computer manufacturer.

What would be the point of having a digital interface to your PSU, telling the make, model and wattage? It would be a toy, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back