question on terms plssss....

By reignage
Nov 27, 2005
  1. can anyone pls explain to me what ATA 133 and ultra DMA is? i've been encountering this terms and i don't understand them...

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!
  2. bokey

bokey TS Rookie

ATA133 and Ultra DMA mode 6 are the same thing.It a transfer protocol with a theoretical transfer rate of 133 MB/s.(basically how fast your data gets from the hard drive to the RAM.)
    I'm new here but I expect the reason you didn't get an answer sooner is because it is something that can easily be answered in great detail with any search engine.Good luck.
  3. reignage

reignage TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you for the reply!!! appreciate it
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,160   +599

DMA: Dynamic Memory Access

it means that as long as the CPU doesn't access the I/O port at the same time,
    the device can store into the I/O port without interferring with the CPU.
    see this

An alternative to DMA is the Programmed Input/Output (PIO) interface in which all data transmitted between devices goes through the processor. A newer protocol for the ATA/IDE interface is Ultra DMA, which provides a burst data transfer rate up to 33 MB (megabytes) per second. Hard drives that come with Ultra DMA/33 also support PIO modes 1, 3, and 4, and multiword DMA mode 2 (at 16.6 megabytes per second).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.