Question RE Wireless Network & IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

at home we have 3 systems running windows xp pro, and configured as follows:

system 1 located in a bedroom, connected to aol broadband platinum (1mb), configured with a wirless network adaptor (USB) and setup with an IP of 192.168.10.1, running Proxy+ to allow sharing of internet.

system 2 in another bedroom is also configured with a wirless network adaptor (USB) and setup with an IP of 192.168.10.2, and has internet explorer's connections tab setup for lan, using 192.168.10.1 as the proxy.

system 3 in another bedroom is also configured with a wirless network adaptor (USB) and setup with an IP of 192.168.10.3, and has internet explorer's connections tab setup for lan, using 192.168.10.1 as the proxy.

All systems have access to the net, and with systems 2 and 3, in order to access software like ftp clients, p2p and so on, have to be configured to access the net via proxy.

in order for system 2 and 3 to access the net, system 1 with ip 192.168.10.1 must be on and connected to the net, which it is near enough 24/7 anyway.

this is all running fine, but the question i have is that with regards to IPs.

obviously system 1 has its own external ip from AOL.
with system 2 & 3 however, if, for example, i go to a website to check my current ip, it will show the same IP as system 1, and i was wondering if i could somehow configure them to have their own IP.

basically, lets say i want to setup an FTP server on system 2.
at the moment, i am unable to give an FTP address out because there isn't one as such for system 2.

i'm not sure if i've made much sense, but to cut it short, i would like the system 2 and 3 (the client systems on my home wireless network) to have their own IPs to the outside world, an IP that is for those systems, not that represents the server system (system 1).

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

No can do, unless you order two more connections from AOL or whoever.

Also, check the small-print of your AOL-contract, you might not be allowed to have a server.
If you want to let any outsiders in at all (for whatever reason), you should get yourself a router with built-in firewall and MAC-selection (= hardware-ID of the NIC in a PC) for access/refusal t the internet. That way the internet is always available to all the PCs without PC1 having to be switched on.

For basic networking, have a look at the attachment in post #5 by me here:
Modem won't connect through ethernet

You can use the external IP of system #1 if you set up port forwarding on #1 so that all incoming FTP connections are forwarded to #2

Whether you can do this with your proxy software is another matter. You may have to switch to Windows ICS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back