Question regarding external enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding the use of external enclosures. My desktop recently died on me, and I never backed up my HD (I know, I know...big mistake). I removed my HD and plan on transferring my files over to a new PC using an external enclosure. Here is my question:

Once you plug the enclosure into the new PC via the USB port, are you able to selectively pick and chose which files are transferred onto the new hard drive? Or does it automatically move everything from the old HD to the new one?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you will be able to selectively choose which files you want transfer over. But since your computer malfunctioned, the hard drive might be bad as well but that a different situation.

I was never able to fully diagnose what caused the old PC to stop working to be completely honest. I am going to give the external enclosure a shot in any case. Even if the HD was the problem, I will still be able to use the external enclosure to back up my files in the future.

Once you move the HD to the enclosure and plug it in the USB port
> You should hear the device insertion "ding dong"
> Windows should recognize a disk device was attached (check Device Manager)
> Hopefully, it should now look like any other disk

If have problems, suggest you
> See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]
> If still a problem, try running chkdsk /r x: where x is the drive letter

Thanks for the additional input. Once I get the new PC up and running, I will be sure to follow the steps you outlined here. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back