Question regarding F-disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I tried to install a PCMCIA network card on a Compaq laptop and I received the message that I must re-install Windows (98SE) My laptop does'nt have a floppy drive so how do I remove Windows so I can reformat and re-install? I have a Compaq Armada M700. I'm stumped and I don't want to go messing around until I have some info. Any help would be appreciated.

Go into your bios and in the boot option select the cd as the first boot device then insert your Windows cd and restart your computer.

You should be able to boot directly from the windows disk.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Oui... Quote

"M700. I'm stumped and I don't want to go messing around until I have some info. Any help would be appreciated."

Before you wipe that drive ,Go to Compaq and Read about re-installing OS,download all the relevent files you need and burn them to a CD
Unless you have Compaq re-installation disks that came with that Computer,
Those computers use proprietary Bios and some driver/configuration files .I just finished a Protege without factory disks and it is a lot more work.

Thanks everyone.

I'll try your suggestions. I've started the laptop with the disk and it will let me re-install Windows . My question is what about the current version of Windows already on the disk? Won't I be installing two of the same OS on the same disk? Confusion reigns here in Oaktown.

howard_hopkinso said:
No Sean you couldn`t do that because you need full access to the hard drive.
Yes you can, Win9x/ME doesn't prevent fdisk from working. It's just not very "recommended".

OuiWillie said:
I'll try your suggestions. I've started the laptop with the disk and it will let me re-install Windows . My question is what about the current version of Windows already on the disk? Won't I be installing two of the same OS on the same disk? Confusion reigns here in Oaktown.

It`s ok no need to worry about that.

Regards Howard
:grinthumb

OuiWillie said:
You don't say exactly which Cd you have.(Compaq re-install or Windows 98SE)
At any rate ,you said earlier that you were going to Format ,so that will eliminate any infomation on your HDD.You will only end up with one OS
Have Fun.

Thanks All

I'm going to give it a try today. I'm using the Windows 98SE disk to restore windows. One last question: I'm doing this re-install because when I tried to install a PCMCIA Wireless card and when it re-booted I received the "re-install Windows" notice. Any suggestions about what I can do to prevent this from happening again? The wireless card is a Linksys Model #WPC54G. The installation seemed pretty straightforward but maybe I did something wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oui.

First things first ,Yes,
It could be a lot of different things and there is no garrantee it won't happen again.
Go ahead and do the format reload.Get everything up to date and running.And if you followed through on my earlier post and got info ,drivers etc. fron Compaq.The updates may deal with the first problem .
If not,come back we'll help !

Thanks again.

I'm going to try everything tonight. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm so happy I came across this site and all of the terrifically helpful people. You're the best. Oui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back