Question regarding using both a SATA and a PATA HDD in conjunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,
I have a probably simple question, but I feel like second-guessing myself, just to be sure.

I intend to buy a 250GB Seagate Sata Hard-Drive tomorrow, to complement the 80GB Maxtor drive I already have. I wish to have the new hard-drive purely for extra storage (of downloads etc.), so I don't have any desire, as far as i know, for using RAID. My motherboard seems all set up to support the drive (nForce 4 A8N-E) but it is the (minimal) co-operation with the older HDD that causes me to wonder.
Basically, I want to know is there's any foreseeable problem with me using a PATA drive (as the master of my 2 dvd drives, and previously another hdd that died, but I want this new drive to fill the role in much the same way) along with a SATA drive, which as far as I know, doesn't deal with the master/slave stuff? That difference shouldn't cause me a problem, should it?

I'm quite new to this SATA stuff, as you can no doubt tell.

Thanks for any replies. :)

If you have a look at my profile you will see that i use ata and sata together on my asus mobo with absolutely no problems at all!!!!:)

No problem!!!!:)

If you need any more help then post it in this thread and i will reply as soon as i see it!!!!

You will not have any problems using both. Some people have issues with it not wanting to boot, but it is almost always something not set correctly in the BIOS about boot order or RAID.

Thats a good point SNGX1275!!! I know with my mobo it wants to boot from ata by default and i have to change the boot order to force boot from sata!!!!

Once its set correctly everything should run fine, but if you should ever change ata drives then the bios will probably default back to wanting to boot from ata as mine does!! If you always bear that in mind then you should have no problems!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back