***** Question

By The Smoker
Nov 27, 2007
  1. I really feel like an ***** for having to ask this, especially considering I've done it before.

I'm using XP, and I can't figure out how to get users to stop logging out automatically after a period of idle time. Can anyone help?
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

No such thing as an ***** question, especially if I don't know the answer either.
    Logging out of what - A website? A user account?
  3. samjohnson

samjohnson TS Maniac Posts: 238

I do believe that The Smoker is referring to windows logging out of a user account after a period of time. Though I can't remember how to do it as I don't have multiple accounts on my computer. :D
    I think you have to go into control panel and then user accounts but I am not sure.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

see this KB article

it is relative to Win2k, but give it a try -- in reverse -- be sure it is NOT active :)

edit: found this
    This can be done in Windows 2000 / XP / .NET using Group Policy. Control Panel, Administrative Tools > local security policy > local policies -> security options

look for "Automatically log off users" and/or "Amount of idle time required before disconnecting session"
  5. The Smoker

The Smoker TS Rookie Topic Starter

I check out the admin tools, still haven't found anything.

And yes it's the User Accounts that I'm speaking in reference to.

I remember it being relatively simple to accomplish this, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. It's not in the user settings or, to my knowledge, anywhere else in the control panel.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Try the screen saver options, make sure you don't have it set to require password to wake up.
  7. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

SMGX1275 has it on the nail.
  8. Cerberus

Cerberus TS Rookie Posts: 56

Have you tried looking in the local policy/ security policy, i think there is an option for auto logoff in there, i cant check for you because im on a work pc.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.