Question's about telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jus had a question about Telnet. How would i use telnet from My school? I dont get how to use the user names and passwords? Can someone plz give me helpful info on how to set this up!?! Thanks

First of all, telnet is Bad since it is unencrypted and anyone can sniff your passwords and everything you do. I recommend SSH instead.

First you enable telnet on the server computer. On Windows it is a service to install/enable. On unixoid systems you have to enable it in either inetd or xinetd.

If you have a firewall then you have to enable connections to port 23 on the server side.

Telnet uses the users and passwords on its host computer. So if you telnet to a system then you just enter a user and a password on that target system as prompted. Usually you cannot login as the root user via telnet by default.

RE: Questions's about telnet

Thanks for the info. My operating system is Windows XP. WHen i click Start then Run, then i type in telnet then an IP Address, then it opens, but it will say connecting, then it exit's telnet?? Whats wrong? How can i connect to my School's IP Address?

The machine you are connecting to does not have a telnet server running.

Are you sure you are connecting to a correct address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back