Questions: DSL broadband routing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

I need help on DSL broadband routing...

I've 2 computers, and I wished to let both computers use the same ADSL internet connection. I've heard of "routing" the 2 computers together.

What exactly is "routing?"

Is there a way to "route" my 2 computers together?

What additional hardwares do I need?

How do I "route" my computers together?

Is there additional Software required?

If anyone has an answer, please reply to this thread. If not, never mind, coz even after a few yrs of exposure to the internet, it's my first time coming across this thingy :D

Routing

Hey eddy05,

What you need is called a Router. There are several on the market. A company called Linksys makes several models. Any office depot store and even Radio Shack sell them.

Here is basically what you do. To avoid being charged for more than one connection you use a router. You install your DSL modem first then put the router inline with the modem. In other words, follow the wire from the wall to the DSL modem then to the router. The router will have several "PORTS". Then from the router to the computer or computers. (common routers have 4 ports)

When you set up your router, you put your computer IP address into the router, then configure EACH computer with an IP address for the router.

Then VOA-LA you are on your way.

The only thing your ISP will see is the IP address of the router ( which is now the IP they gave you) they will not see that you have more than one computer connected to their network.

That is just the basics. If you need more info, just ask

Boeingfixer is exactly right. The router is used for being able to network alot of computers together to all use the internet under one IP address instead of being charged with each individual address. Then under the router there are subIP addresses you can set for each computer plugged into the router ports.

I just got a router for my home network (consisting of 3 computers) because I just got switched to Comcast cable internet. At first they tried to charge us for all three IP addresses, but after I got the router I could simply set up all three computers to the internet under one IP address and not have to spend an extra 120 dollars a year per computer!

Another pro of a router is that they usually come with firewalls to protect you from potential hackers and people from the outside usually can't see the computers inside the router because of the firewall.

You are probably looking to spend around 100-200 dollars for a quality router. Hope this helps!!! :)

Thanks

SuperCheetah,

Thanks for the back up on this post.

eddy05

One other thing you may have to watch is working with Win XP and your router. You will think you have lost some options like remote assistance with using a router but there is a work-a-round. I know you are working with Win 98 right now but it is something to keep in mind. Get a router that supports all the current operating systems.

For a ton of info go here. This is Linksys's page for cable and DSL routers

http://www.linksys.com/Products/group.asp?grid=23

Good luck again and ask if you need more help.

They aren't hard to set up, I helped a friend set his up over the phone in about 1/2 and hour

Thanks Boeingfixer!

Just another company that makes good routers is Netgear. That is the company I bought my router from.

Here is a link to all their routers for DSL, Cable, etc.:

http://www.netgear.com/routers_main.asp

As Boeingfixer suggests, if you need any help feel free to post and we'll get back to you ASAP!!!

Hope this helps :)

Hey SuperCheetah,

Just looking at your stuff. You live just down the road from me. How's the weather at the coast ??

Great today!!! Has been cold the past couple of weeks, but everything is nice today. I'm just ready for beach weather to come along so I can hit the sands.

I also noticed you were from ATL! That's really cool. I visit there alot, friends, family, etc.

I read the post that you work for Boeing (hence the name :) ). That's awesome!!! I want to do some design work with planes with a company like Boeing or Lockheed. What exactly do you do on the planes???

SuperCheetah,

Not for Boeing just ON boeing, I work for the big "D" here (Delta) actually this week I am in 737-800 school. Fun Fun...zzzzzz....

I either work on or have worked on every Commercial Boeing made.

707,727,737,747,757,767, and 777

777 is my favorite.....

Aircraft Technician for Delta, I do everything except Avionics/electrical work.

It's great!

Thanks to you guys, I felt I knew enough to get starting! I've just woken up, and I'll probably get down to the computer stores and check out on the one that I need! thanks!

Hey eddy05,

Have you gotten out to look at routers yet ? Super and I are wondering how its been going or if you have any more questions ?

Good luck finding one you like, please let us know what you get so we can oogle over it.

Or, you could try installing two DSL modems on one of the computers and one on the other computer. Then run one cable into the first computer, and another out it and to another computer. This has to work out somehow, any ideas? Also note that your Gateway computer (not the manufacturer- it's the 'puter with two modems/NICs) has to be on for the other computer to access the internet.

If you haven't gotten a router already, this could quite easily save you a few bucks.

I haven't got a router yet. I've found one on my local computer store, and decided to find a job to buy for it. About the idea u wrote, both computers need to know that they are connected to the net, which means both computers must dial the phone. I dun think you can dial the phone twice, can you...?

Just curious, but how many DSL modems are we talking about using here??? It sounds to me like 3!! If this is the case then buying a router would probably be cheaper and more beneficial in the future.

Plus you need all the extra wiring, just sounds like a hassle to me, but maybe it could work.

Make sure to let us know what you end up doing and feel free to post any other problems you might be having! :)

Currently, I'm having only 1 ADSL modem without an output socket. I fully understand about the Routing procedure but I can't fully understand Vehementi's idea. Sounds quite complicated. Can u explain furthur? perhaps that'll be a good alternative to a router. Btw using a router, is it possible to set up a LAN? I ain't using cable, but DSL. i wonder whether it's possible...

You don't really need a router for 2 PCs....
Internet Connection Sharing saves you from having to purchase a router as it allows one of the PCs to do the routers job instead. Of course the downside is that you have to have the ICS PC running to be able to access the internet on all PCs, all you need is a cheap hub to link the pcs together and a couple of network cards (1 per PC). If your using less than 3 PCs then I would suggest this rather than the extra expense of buying a router. I run ICS between 3 PCs at home. I have a firewall machine which has PC Anywhere running. So I switch the firewall on, connect to it through my machine, connect to my DSL provider and bobs your uncle...

Of course a router does mean that you can skip having a machine that must be running for the other one to access the internet...

Depends of your finances and what you want to do with the 2 PCs!

I think Vehmenti is suggesting something similar. Its like having 2 network cards in one machine and one in the other. The 1st machine would connect to the internet via the first network card and the modem (depending on the type of the DSL/Cable modem) and then using a cross over network cable connects via its second network card to PC number 2. This saves the need for a hub but really when you can get a hub for next to nothing its silly not to use one.

Here is a good thread from the Old 3dspotlight forum about networking 2 PCs

PS: The link is for XP ICS, windows98SE is here, and win2k is here and here

DSL Routing with a hardware router

Hi all,

I've been using my Netgear router for a while with a cable connection and it worked great. I just moved to an area that only has DSL. I thought I would just be able to plug in my router and go, but this DSL connection needs to actually "dial-up" into the service to logon before I start using it.

So now is there anyway I can still use my hardware router? If it comes down to it, I do have an extra network card, I could install it then use windows 2000 ip-sharing programs with a switch to make it work, but I would rather use the hardware router and save the processor.

Thanks!

Don't you have to dial-in to cable service also?

Your router may be able to create a DSL connection by itself, just look in the configuration. If not, you can create the connection from your PC. After you have logged in, the connection sharing should work, you just have to keep the connecting PC on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back