Questions on purchasing OEM sound card

By OnePanda
Jun 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all....well I recently had a problem with using my headset and speakers simultaneously (posted problem here http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic25942.html ) and was curious if it would be best to just buy a new sound card.

I found the Creative AUDIGY2 ZS PCI sound card in the PriceWatch here on techspot for $59 but the company selling it for that price states that it's an OEM and does not include any software. From the ICT Company site - "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Internal Sound Card (Software not included) - New Bulk
    Contents: Sound card"

Does this mean that the drivers are not included and if so then is there somewhere I could download the software/drivers for free? Or is it worth it to pay the extra $$ and get a non OEM with all the software included.

Also, if I got this new soundcard would I be able to use my headset and speakers simultaneously? Or would I have the same problem I do now?

Thanks for the help.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,387   +205

The OEM version from Newegg appears to include a driver and utility cd. Unless your speakers are digital, with the OEM version you won't be able to use the analog output for both speakers and headphones (unless you use a splitter).

You would have to get the platinum or pro versions with the internal or external box to use both speakers and headphones, I think.
  3. OnePanda

OnePanda Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 27

Right now for my sound card im on an intel integrated (onboard) ac97....would I be able to put the audigy into a pci slot then use that for my speakers and my onboard soundcard for headphones?
  4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

It will be possible, but can cause a lot of headaches!
    You'll have to change what sound card to use every time you want to switch from one to the other, and it's not 100% sure that the drivers will work with another soundcard installed...

I'd rather suggest using a quality splitter and turn off your speakers when you use your headphones...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.