Questions on purchasing OEM sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePanda

Hey all....well I recently had a problem with using my headset and speakers simultaneously (posted problem here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic25942.html ) and was curious if it would be best to just buy a new sound card.

I found the Creative AUDIGY2 ZS PCI sound card in the PriceWatch here on techspot for $59 but the company selling it for that price states that it's an OEM and does not include any software. From the ICT Company site - "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Internal Sound Card (Software not included) - New Bulk
Contents: Sound card"

Does this mean that the drivers are not included and if so then is there somewhere I could download the software/drivers for free? Or is it worth it to pay the extra $$ and get a non OEM with all the software included.

Also, if I got this new soundcard would I be able to use my headset and speakers simultaneously? Or would I have the same problem I do now?

Thanks for the help.

The OEM version from Newegg appears to include a driver and utility cd. Unless your speakers are digital, with the OEM version you won't be able to use the analog output for both speakers and headphones (unless you use a splitter).

You would have to get the platinum or pro versions with the internal or external box to use both speakers and headphones, I think.

Right now for my sound card im on an intel integrated (onboard) ac97....would I be able to put the audigy into a pci slot then use that for my speakers and my onboard soundcard for headphones?

It will be possible, but can cause a lot of headaches!
You'll have to change what sound card to use every time you want to switch from one to the other, and it's not 100% sure that the drivers will work with another soundcard installed...

I'd rather suggest using a quality splitter and turn off your speakers when you use your headphones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back