Questions regarding Mobo change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaser261

Just some questions when I change my Mobo. I am putting in a new mobo,cpu,heatsing, psu,vid card, and memory. I am reusing old atx case, sound card,tv card,HDD's,floppy,cd,and dvd Drives.
#1-will I have to re-install Windows XP or will it just boot up from the original install?
#2 What other dangers will be present?
Thanks for any help, this place ROCKS!:cool:

Windows doesn't like a massive change to hardware once it's installed. If you're only running one hard drive, you'll have to reinstall the os once you replace all the hardware.
I did find out (by accident on my daughter's computer) that if you had two hard drives (her main hd was used XP Home as the operating system with full SP2; slave drive only had XP Home with SP1), and I did an upgrade on hers. I swapped out my old IDE hard drive because it was bigger than hers and was going to use it for storage on hers as a slave. I then took her original slave drive with only XP and SP 1 on it and changed the jumpers from slave to master, hooked it up and to my surprise it booted.
I'm not going to say this will work everytime, but it did for me. If you only have one hard drive, you'd better back up everything you want to save, then upgrade and reinstall the os. It's better to do a clean install to take care of any problems which may arise later from the original os, so don't just do a Windows repair from the disk, do a complete install.
Best of luck.

changing the mobo or a significant amount of components will require re-registration (a phone call) to M$ when re-installing windows as Windows XP can only be licensed on one machine (motherboard) at a time. You will not be able to use the same XP with your old motherboard.
once you get the FREE new key from M$ after they have verified your copy is legit, you can proceed with the remainder of the new installation.

Tedster said:
changing the mobo or a significant amount of components will require re-registration (a phone call) to M$ when re-installing windows as Windows XP can only be licensed on one machine (motherboard) at a time. You will not be able to use the same XP with your old motherboard.
once you get the FREE new key from M$ after they have verified your copy is legit, you can proceed with the remainder of the new installation.

I've had to do that before, and they'll give you no trouble if you're using your version of Xp on a single computer.

I don't understand these things because... let's just say I don't register my OS like normal people... and we'll leave it at that. But why do they care so much if you just want to reinstall windows after a hardware change? Why do you have to contact them? I don't think that's really fair. I mean after all you BOUGHT the OS from them, it's not like they LENT it to you...

MetalX said:
I don't understand these things because... let's just say I don't register my OS like normal people... and we'll leave it at that. But why do they care so much if you just want to reinstall windows after a hardware change? Why do you have to contact them? I don't think that's really fair. I mean after all you BOUGHT the OS from them, it's not like they LENT it to you...

Your user key given by Microsoft lasts for ~5 times before they make you call them. So after 5 installs, I think Microsoft would start to wonder if you're really just re-installing it on the same computer :suspiciou .

I agree. I'm on my fourth mobo and I still haven't been given the screen during installation to call for a new key yet.

Oh, ok. Well I've used the same key about 20 times without a problem. I can even download the updates that require validation and everything, dispite the fact that my copy is not "M1cro$oft Approved," shall we say. I guess Genuine Advantage doesn't work too well?

MetalX said:
if you don't register like normal people, then you're implying piracy. This is not tolerated on techspot. I will not assist anyone who pirates software. I'm tired of paying excess prices for other people's stealing. You bought ONE license. That's the agreement with you and microsoft. If you don't like it, there are other OSes out there.

Next Problem

Ok, so I've made backups before, but never had to use one. And if I re-format my hdd, do a clean install of XP after I change my mobo and cpu, what is involved in putting the programs back on my PC ( that I don't have discs for because I bought and downloaded from the Internet) ? This is all new to me as I've been running the same install of XP since I had it built for me 5 yrs. ago. Pls don't laugh.:haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back