Quick clarification on Page File, size and placement

Larsenex

Greetings again. I am quite familiar with modifying the page file in Windows. Lately I turned it off and was told to turn it back on. So I am coming here to ask some questions bear with me..

I have 16 gigs of DDR3 ram.

I have a Samsung EVO 850 (500 gig) SSD, Drive C. I keep ONLY windows and my primary games here. Available space is about 385 gigs.

I have a 1 terabyte Seagate Barracuda HDD, Drive D. I keep EVERYTHING else here. Storage of files and all programs not directly for Windows, such as Adobe, Downloads, my documents, all secondary games. Available space is about 545 gigs.

Currently I have the Page file set to 16,500 megabytes on my SSD. Both min and max values are set to this.

I recently read that I should have it off the main drive and never on an SSD.

Can anyone here advise an 'Optimum' page file size and if it is better to have it enabled on the HDD rather than the SSD.

Lately I turned it off and was told to turn it back on.
told by whom and why?
I have 16 gigs of DDR3 ram.
Pleanty - - even for no-pagefile choice
I have a Samsung EVO 850 (500 gig) SSD, Drive C. I keep ONLY windows and my primary games here. Available space is about 385 gigs.

I have a 1 terabyte Seagate Barracuda HDD, Drive D. I keep EVERYTHING else here. Storage of files and all programs not directly for Windows, such as Adobe, Downloads, my documents, all secondary games. Available space is about 545 gigs.
given the choice, you've got all that correct imo.
Currently I have the Page file set to 16,500 megabytes on my SSD. Both min and max values are set to this.
PF is normally 1.5->3x installed ram. Setting MIN=MAX stops expansion and degridation that it causes. normally on HDDs, I'd defrag after the setting change, but that's not good for SSDs
I recently read that I should have it off the main drive and never on an SSD.
says who & why? The characteristics of SSD is ideal for a pagefile EXCEPT the low MTBF failures for perpetual writes - - kinda oxymoron to me.
Can anyone here advise an 'Optimum' page file size and if it is better to have it enabled on the HDD rather than the SSD.
one other thought.
The pagefile has always been required if active (thru win/7 at least) to be present on the boot drive. When two or more drives are config'd with pagefiles, they do not have to be the same size and setting a minimal pf on the boot and a large one on another drive.

my $0.02

Personally I keep mine turned off because I am using two SSDs. and that is what I would advise.

Thank you for the replies.

I was told to turn it back on simply so you can generate dump logs if you crash (say on a game).

So keep as is and the size is fine. Gotcha!

Bear in mind the whole concept of a page file relates to a different world - when memory was small and expensive. I would (at your memory size) see how it works with no pagefile at all.
If it becomes clear that Windows wants some pagesize, then Jobeard's advice is sound -
The pagefile has always been required if active (thru win/7 at least) to be present on the boot drive. When two or more drives are config'd with pagefiles, they do not have to be the same size and setting a minimal pf on the boot and a large one on another drive"

Last edited:
Back