Quick memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

Best case scenario is that your computer will automatically underclock the new ram to run at PC2100 (the speed of your slowest installed ram).

Worse case scenario is that the new ram will not be compatible with the old ram. Usually recommended to not mix ram speeds.

The best thing to do is to purchase two new 256MB sticks of memory so you won't have to be concerned about compatibility issues as well as the underclocking that would occur with the higher rated memory you have now.

Not quite following you. Do you mean add the new 512mb stick to your current 256mb stick for a total of 768mb ram?

If so, then I would still answer you the same way as above:

Best case scenario is that your computer will automatically underclock the new ram to run at PC2100 (the speed of your slowest installed ram).

Worse case scenario is that the new ram will not be compatible with the old ram. Usually recommended to not mix ram speeds.

What is the FSB of the motherboard? Better yet, what is the make/model? (Just to confirm first of all, that this new ram will be compatible).

With older systems, it is always a tough call. If the board supports dual channel, then you'd be better off with two sticks of the same size/speed to that it runs in dual channel mode (5-10% speed increase). If it doesn't support dual channel, then get that 512mb stick and pop it in there. It would help your gaming quite a bit I would think. Then pop that 256mb in there as well as see if they play nicely together. You could run some benchmarks to see which setup gives you better performance, the 512mb @ pc3200 alone or the 512+256 at pc2100.

im not quit sure wat fsb is? but here is some info

Also how can i do some benchmarks?

Motherboard info :
Motherboard Name MSI 661FM2-V (MS-7060) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX

Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM

I got his information with everest.. if u need more info pelase tell me where
thank you = )

Yes, it does support PC3200 ram, so that new ram you are looking at should work in there.

There are many different benchmark software packages. 3DMark is one of the more popular ones. I'd recommend you use 3DMark05 or older, as that system would choke pretty bad on the '06 version.

Download and run it from here. It runs a few games and gives you an overall score. Run it with various ram configs and see which setup gives you the highest score.

Actually, you got what you needed. That score you got (what was it... 1803?) is the number of your overall system rating. Next stick in the new ram and see if your score goes up.

There are a number of more detailed tests (the ram test you are refering to is likely one of them) that are only available if you purchase the full version of the software. Not necessary in your case. The overall system rating is enough to tell if you are getting better or worse performane overall with various ram configs.

ah ok i see thank you ... the RAM im going to buy says pc2100/2700/3200. Is it going to run at 3200 or will i have to something to make it go at that speed.

if u leave the pc2100 in then the new ram will run at 2100, if u put two new sticks of the pc3200 then it should run at 3200.

caps latency

i have read wat you have given me tedster ( thank you ) it answered most of my questions xcept this one

I cant seem to decide on this one. There both the same price , same brand. But they have differemnt CAp latencys. I myself dotn know what this is. the first one has a 2.5 CL and the second one has 3 CL. there btoh the same speed ( pc3200 ) and there both kignstons.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back