Quick question about AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalgruzin

since AMD price cuts, a duel core AMD became a VERY good deal but i dont know alot about AMD so i have a question

wuts the difference between an X2 6000+ and an FX-62?

the fx-62 is more expensive but i dont see a difference in specs
both have an l1 of 128+128
both have an l2 of 1x2
both are based on 90nm
both are AM2

in fact the x2 6000 has a greater clock speed
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103861

so wuts the deal?

hi totalgruzin,

the specs are the same because they are [basically] the same processor. they use the same core, same socket, etc.

the only difference I can see between them (besides the internal clock speed) is the multiplier. FX series have completely unlocked multipliers, where all other models are locked upwards.

that would only matter if you planned on overclocking (which I assume you're not doing, because high-end processors have very little overclocking headroom). at stock speeds the 6000+ should be slighty faster than the FX-62.

there may be a few reasons why it costs more. one reason may be that the FX-62 was out before the 6000+ was released (and before the major AMD price cuts) which means that Neweeg paid more for the FX-62 than they did for the 6000+. they don't want to lose money, so they leave the price where it is. the other reason may be simple marketing, if people think that the FX line is the best you can get (ideally that would be the case) than they can charge more money for it.

to sum it all up, out of those two choices go with the 6000+. not only is it faster, but it's also $130 less! :eek:

cheers :wave:

Only difference is multiplier as mentioned. And its only used in overclocking (correct me if wrong).

Like KingCody, I strongly recommend you stick with the 6000+. I'd probably recommend the 6000+ even if you overclock, but thats a different debate.

The FX series are gaming processors with the implied function of being able to be overclocked. X2 series are not. However, high end processors are not nearly as overclockable as lower end models. So the most bang for the $ is with an X2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back