Quick question about CPU's and MOBO's & the making of a gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have some qestions about everything,but im wonder which way to go, crossfire or SLI for the new gaming PC i plan to biuld. i want to, at some point, dual up on graphics cards and need to make a desion right off the bat. just curious if any one out there has some personal experience, or any helpful information on the topic. i know its a loaded question because underneath it is the desision between ATI or NVIDIA. but for the most part im wondering which appears to be more compatible, if that make any sense. The CPU i want is the Atholon 64 X2 4400+. ive read some many reviews about CPU, Mobo's, and everything to the point where my whole project has been put into question. ive made several complete shopping carts full of goodies, and canceled the checkout do to indecsion. If you have any helpfull tips, please pass them my way.

nVidia. I don't own dual video cards but AMD is best suited for nVidia video cards and Intel is best suited for ATi videocards.

My personal opinion about SLI is that it's a waste of money. If you buy one of the top cards now, you'll get excellent performance and have money left over to move up to the next greatest card to come up. When the next gen. cards come out they're usually just as fast as SLI of the previous gen.

If you really think you might want SLI, start with just one card and get an SLI mobo so you have that option.

I'd second what JMMD is saying for the most part. SLI is not really worth it as an upgrade option. If you are going to get two high end cards right from the beginning, then SLI becomes a fun (and powerful) thing to do. But if for example, you get one 7900 card now with plans to get another in 6 months or so, chances are by the time you get around to buying that second card, there will be a more powerful single card that you could buy that will outperform your dual 7900s for just a little extra cash.

But wow. A system with two X1900XT cards? Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back