Quick question about monitor jigglies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hey I just aquired a Dell M992 monitor. Which is a CRT with a flat face on it.

I just swapped the monitor for my old one while the system was on, cause it shouldn't be a problem.
This page shows some specs on it:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart_test_report/0,chid,5265,prodid,14529,00.asp

The problem is, when I changed the refresh to 75hz, or even 70hz, the screen is all jiggly. Mostly visible around all the edges, but I think it's happening everywhere. On 60hz it doesn't do that anymore.

So then I updated the monitor driver to plug and play monitor. Didn't work. I restarted, nope. I downloaded the actual Dell M992 driver and had XP load that, still doesn't work.
I reset all the settings, nope. Did a degauss, nope.

That page says I should be able to get 85hz in 1280x1024, which is what I use. I'd like to get above 60hz though.

Any idea why my monitor has the shakes?

Does the monitor ever start shaking after a long period of use when it is at 60hz? We found a monitor that would shake at ever level except 60hz but after awhile it would even shake at 60hz. We found out that it was the monitor going out. So if you just bought it take it back.

It was given to me. And it looked nice so I wanted to try it out.

I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve, see if I can't get it acting right. Maybe there are some internal adjustments that need tweaking.

Not yet, I will shortly.

But I just found out that another monitor I've had in the box for some time, is the same as this one! Another M992. So I got that out and plugged it in, reset the settings and degaus but had the SAME problem with this one too. And this one is all but new, still had plastic wrapped around the vga cable.
So what the heck?

I read some place about electromagnetic interference, hadn't thought about that. But the only thing I have is my speakers on both sides of the monitor, and moving those didn't help.
I didn't have this problem on my previous 17" crt of course.

I reloaded my video drivers as well. Uninstalled them and downloaded the Catalyst for my card, which is a basic Radeon 9200. Nothing special, but this is a workstation, not a gaming rid.

Anyway, nothing worked, and now I have an additional problem of having a low refresh of windows. That is, if I drag an icon around, it moves smooth. But if I drag a larger window around, it is choppy and jumps around instead of moving smooth. Also scrolling web pages, slowly jumps down and refreshes. Really anything that moves around is not moving smooth anymore. On 60hz or otherwise.
I doubt that is the monitors fault, but who knows?

Any ideas why now TWO monitors have the shakes? And now my system is being choppy when moving things around?

Ok, well I can't stand this, my eyes are already starting to bug me and water.

I put my old 17" back on, restarted, set the resolution and refresh to 75hz. And it looks fine, no shakes, no jaggy moving of objects and scrolling.
Except that I do see a small band go from bottom to top. Only noticeable on lighter areas though. Not sure what that is.
Arg, I want an LCD...

Yeah I have seen that alot of new monitors don't have as much sheilding as the older models. Could be that. The only way to check is if you move it to a new place in the house.

EMI is a possibility. If there another monitor located near it or any other electronics that operating in the ~70Hz (which is a lot of consumer stuff), then you could get some jigglies. Try moving anything electronic and finally try moving the monitor to another corner of the room or in a different room... Just to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back