Quick Question about my VIDEO card, 3 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendaryU2K

Hey i am using a Ati Radeon 7000 64MB PCI

And i was wondering was it ok or a good idea to change some of the settings in the control panel / direct 3d options and open GL options or leave them at DEFAULT ?

ALso, is it ok to change the Refresh rate to sa 85HZ or 60HZ or leave it on default, which is: OPTIMAL?????

And my last question, does ATI Radeon 7000 support DirectX 9.C ?

I ask this because i notice when playing GTA III, like the first time you install , and when you run the game it checks your video card and see what is the best settings can be use when playing. Only thing, when going back into the DXDIAG thing , my DDI VERSION goes back to 7, when it was at 9 before running GTA III.

Thanks. :)

i personally use Open GL and max up the settings.. with ur card, id prolly use open gl and leave most of the settigns at default.. and instead.. change the visual settings ingame (go to video settings in GTA3)

as for refresh rate.. i use 60hz... as for if i put it up higher.. everything gets blurry.. n sometimes i can see lines/kinda like flashing.. yea.. odd.. i dono.. in this case for ME.. optimal would be 60hz... play around with the refresh rate on urs.. n see which one is best for ur eyes..

directx 9.0c.. im not sure.. google around =]

PS.. i just tried boosting my rate to 180HZ.. text and words n stuff arent as sharp compared to 60hz.. also my cursor speed doubled for some reason.. does neone kkno why??

If you have an LCD monitor, then leave the refresh at 60Hz... It won't really matter, and most screens can't cope with more anyways. If you have a regular CRT on the other hand, I suggest setting it as high as the monitor supports. This is because the higher the refresh, the less flickering you'll notice, and thus it reduces the chances of getting a mind-splitting headache, nausea and the like...

As for the settings. If you feel you are getting a very low performance in games, and would like greater speed, you could try changing the "Standard setting" towards performance... I wouldn't fiddle too much around with the more specific settings...
(If you do, FSAA removes jagged edges, but will kill your performance. Anisotropic filtering helps increase the look of the textures, remove edges & such. you can try it at low settings, but it might kill your performance too. I don't think your card has support for TruForm, but you might try. MipMap is for how much detail you'll have on objects far way, and can as such be set to Performance)

And don't worry about the DDI being set to 7, as long as the game runs. It has to do with what level of DX your card supports in hardware.

The ingame settings I'd leave like they are, as the game should be able to select the best settings for your card. You can try to fiddle around with them, as it shouldn't hurt in any way, but rather make the game a slideshow if you set them too high..

truflip, sorry I don't really understand you...

mr garibaldi..

i thought initially, the higher the refresh rate, the better.. however, it seems my monitor/pc is the opposite as to what you mentioned.. for me, the higher i put the refresh rate, the more flickering and i get headache.. also, things get blurry.. i dono.. its odd... its not a big problem for me working at 60hz.. just a curiousity thing..

i will agree with garibaldi... the higher the rfresh rate the better,

this rate is nothing but the number of times the pixel are re-drawn, and the more the better.

come to think of it anything =/over 75 HZ is ok and all settings above this are simply superb.

Hi U2K,
I run ati specificaly. Have seen all sorts of probs and worked thru most of them, and have some tips on ati control settings.
Since your card isn't the fastest out there, set the d3d and opengl to performance. There is little difference in image quality, save for more severe mipmapping. Reduced mipmapping can greatly increase performance. Also, it may be a good idea to set the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to off/application prefs. This applies to d3d and opengl both.
Under opengl/compatibility, you'll find enable triple buffering and force 24bit zbuffer options.
If you run games synched to your refresh rate (I suggest that you do) the triple buffering will make opengl games smoother and faster. The 24bit zbuffer is usefull only if you run your video in 32bit colour. If you do, some 16bit colour games may default to a 16bit zbuffer, creating ugly clipping errors in games. If you run at 16bit colour, don't bother with the zbuffer deal.

While we are on refresh rate and so on, you can force all your games to run at the monitor's refresh rate if the card can pull it off. This control is found under the "Display" tab. Click on the monitor that's not grayed out, and look at the refresh rate override menu. Set this to the refresh rate your monitor runs at.
I suggest 85 as a minimum rate. If you run an lcd, 60 to 75 is about all they will accept, so keep that in mind. Lcd's don't have a refresh rate anyway, really, but still must be told what signal speed to expect. With vsynch enabled you won't have tearing in games anymore, and the performance will be smoother and more predictable. See, windows doesn't set a minimum frame rate for games, and few games have a minimum frame rate setting so you use the driver to settle the issue. If you don't force it, the game may only run at 60 fps or less. Without vsynch in Tribes 2, I would get 250 plus fps in some areas of a map, and 50 in others. With vsynch, I would get 100 steady. I run 100Hz refresh if I can.

I have a more indepth deal on setting vid cards up but I need someone to email me a copy of it back... When I get it, I'll post it here if that's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back