Quick question about vista, please answer quickly, very simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsskater892

Hi, I am filling out my upgrade form that i got with windows xp pro, so that when vista comes out, i get it for free. My question is:

Do i want to upgrade to:
Windows Vista Business 32-bit CD/DVD
or
Windows Vista Business 64-bit CD/DVD

I do not know the difference. right now i am useing regular windows xp professional, not 64bit(link-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116175). I like it and am very happy with my computer. but i just dont want to screw up the form by ordering the wrong thing, so please help me out, which do i get?

here are my specs, just incase:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Power Supply: APEVIA (ASPIRE) ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V/ EPS12V 680W Power Supply

HD1: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache

HD2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache

Video card: XFX PVT71JYHE9 GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Motherboard: ECS KA3 MVP (V1.0A) Socket AM2 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard

DVD Burner: SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista - OEM

Case: APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

The best thing you can do is to fill in Windows Vista Business 32-bit CD/DVD, because your computer doesn't need a 64-bit. Also I want to advice you not to install Vista immidaitly. There will be a lot of bugs in Vista the first couple of months. So maybe you want to continue work on XP for a while. Until Vista has reached a stage of good functional operating system.

HI

Yes its the 32 bit you need, but like Frankibo says dont install it straight away, my advice is to install it but on a seperate partition from your OS or indeed on a seperate drive, that way if you dont like it you wont lose your existing OS.

Regards

ohhh-o, I ordered the update for vista 64bit :(. people told me it was better for me since i had a 64bit processor. is this going to be a problem?

It probably isn't going to be a problem, and in theory it will make your system better overall. In 64bit you cannot install drivers that are not WHQL certified by Microsoft, which means you will always be guarenteed the driver you get works properly with your hardware. Also 64bit apps in a true 64bit environment have the potential to run faster than their 32bit counterparts.

I think with enough people having 64bit processors now a lot will get the 64bit Vista, which will finally kick developers in the rear to start writing stuff to take advantage of the 64bit benefits.

SNGX1275 said:
I think with enough people having 64bit processors now a lot will get the 64bit Vista
How so? The discussion forums (not just this one) are full of people saying "you don't need 64-bit operating systems".

Because of people thinking "I have a 64bit processor, I should get the 64bit OS"

Thats what I've done with every version of linux I've attempted to work with in the past 2 years, finally I get a system up and running enough to want to do things with it and find out 64bit support is absolutely horrible.

Hopefully vista 64 isn't as bad as xp 64. There alot of hardware out there that don't have the 64-bit version of the drivers. IMO xp64 bombed. It does run more efficiently and faster, but there aren't enough companies out there that support it. Go to the website of some of you hardware components and you'll see that most of them don't have 64-bit supporting drivers.

hmm, i see. I know that there is no way to go back and change my decision, so, do you think that when they mail me the update disk that i will be able to sell it for its value (on ebay, or somthing like that), because xp pro and other operating systems sell pretty well on ebay. I bought xp home off there a while ago, and only really saved like 5$, so will i be able to sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back