Quick question before I buy new RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibtr

I have 1gb memory now. 2x512. I used the crucial scanner to figure out what I need. I want one more GB. They are showing the 2x512 as the reccomended upgrade, which costs $53. But I also noticed that there is 1gb of a single stick of 1gb for $42. Does it make a difference if I install one 1gb, or 2 512s? Are they just trying to get me to buy the more expensive package? It does say the 1gb is compatible, but reccomends the 2 sticks. It also says, "Your system requires that you install memory in pairs." I have 4 banks with 2 slots each. Does this mean that both slots in a bank have to be full? That I cant just place the 1gb in there instead of two 5x12s?

Here are the scan results and my setup http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=19DB125931D926C3

Two more 512 sticks is better. Because that way your memory will still be in dual channel mode while adding just another 1GB stick forces you to run in single channel, which is slower.

alright, thanks

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back