TechSpot

Quick question:CPU fan wrong way round

By saiorse44
Jul 2, 2007
  1. Hi all.

When building my computer (not the specs shown in sig) last November i bought this fan the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 to use with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Touch-wood it has worked lovely ever since.

But re-reading the manual for the fan it appears that i have mounted it facing the wrong way. It is currently blowing air towards the front of the system instead of out the back.

I have had a new PC case delivered today so while i was transferring all the parts into the new one i thought that i would have a go at unclipping the bracket and swiveling the fan around. My question is: is it OK to just twist the fan around on its current thermal compound and will it affect the effectiveness of it if I do?

Many Thanks,
    Rob

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

'is it OK to just twist the fan around on its current thermal compound' - NO

'will it affect the effectiveness of it if I do?' - YES

edit: this is the Dirty Harry type question, ie, 'Do you feel lucky?'

3. saiorse44

saiorse44 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

OK, what do you reccomend is the best thing for me to do?

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Remove the heatsink, clean it and the cpu of old paste, reapply paste and reattach as appropriate.

What else would I recommend unless it were to leave well enough alone if temps look good presently?

:)

5. saiorse44

saiorse44 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

OK, thanks. I'll see what the temps are like in the new case and if they are higher ill think about replacing the thermal coumpound.

Many Thanks :)
    Rob

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.