Quick question on UDMA cables

By tainted00
Nov 13, 2003
  1. According to the specifications for the A7N8X Deluxe it comes with 2 UltraDMA cables, 133 and 133/100/66.

does this mean the 133 will only work on hard drives and cd's that support it?

My hd is a seagate UDMA100, and the cd a cheapo sony make.
    I dont wish to have them both on the same ribbon, so would I need to purchase a 2nd one? Or could one of the devices actually be used on the 133 cable?

hope that makes sense ~_^

2. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Connect them both any way you like, as it won't affect performance. You can use the 133 cable without any problem, and its preferable to the older style cables.
  3. tainted00

tainted00 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ah ok

thank you =)
  4. tainted00

I have a follow up to my original query, might be specific to people who've used this board.
    Basically I cant work out which cables which o.O The manual was a bit confusing on this

heres a pic of the two:

So is anyone possibly able to tell me which is the UDMA 133 and which is the UDMA 133/100/66?
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

A UDMA 66 cable is the same as a UDMA 133 cable - it's just a 40 pin 80 conductor cable. The one with finer wire will probably be your UDMA 66/100/133 cable, but from what you said I think the wires will function the same way.
  6. tainted00

rightio ~_^
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

From the picture it looks as if the lower one is a 40 connector cable - you can see thicker wires and the plugs aren't color coded. You should use that cable for the CD-ROM drive to avoid performance penalty for the HD.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.