Quick Question RedHat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I'm having trouble extracting and executing bin files. I'm trying to do it from the terminal and I have all the directories set properly. I try to execute/extract/run the files and and it says it wasn't found! But then, I open up the root folder and it's all there! WTF. I'm logged in as root and I went into the properties and made all the folders and files chmod'd 777, since I can't do it in terminal.

I'm in [root@localhost csserver]# and that's where all my files are! I'm like wtf!

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to get the contents of the .bin files working?

HELP! Urgent plz!

Acutally, I discovered an alternative and somehow I made a new directory aside to the directory root, weird.

Nvm, I think I've got it.

For security reasons unixoid systems don't run things in the current directory like DOS. So if you want to run something from the non-PATH directory you are at, you need to do "./proggy.bin" instead of just "proggy.bin"

Originally posted by Nodsu
For security reasons unixoid systems don't run things in the current directory like DOS. So if you want to run something from the non-PATH directory you are at, you need to do "./proggy.bin" instead of just "proggy.bin"

Correct - because the present working directory is never in your $PATH environment variable.

This is because I would write a malicious program and then call it "ls" and then put it in your home dir, when you opened a terminal window, and it defaulted to your home dir as present working directory, I would have tricked you into running it if pwd was listed early enough in your $PATH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back