Quick Question RedHat 9

By XtR-X
Aug 7, 2003
  1. I'm having trouble extracting and executing bin files. I'm trying to do it from the terminal and I have all the directories set properly. I try to execute/extract/run the files and and it says it wasn't found! But then, I open up the root folder and it's all there! WTF. I'm logged in as root and I went into the properties and made all the folders and files chmod'd 777, since I can't do it in terminal.

I'm in [root@localhost csserver]# and that's where all my files are! I'm like wtf!

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to get the contents of the .bin files working?

HELP! Urgent plz!
  2. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 863

Acutally, I discovered an alternative and somehow I made a new directory aside to the directory root, weird.

Nvm, I think I've got it.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

For security reasons unixoid systems don't run things in the current directory like DOS. So if you want to run something from the non-PATH directory you are at, you need to do "./proggy.bin" instead of just "proggy.bin"
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Correct - because the present working directory is never in your $PATH environment variable.

This is because I would write a malicious program and then call it "ls" and then put it in your home dir, when you opened a terminal window, and it defaulted to your home dir as present working directory, I would have tricked you into running it if pwd was listed early enough in your $PATH.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.