R9600 XT on 4x?

By Rory7
Feb 15, 2004
  1. I thought that the ASUS R9600 XT was an 8x card, yet wen i look in the advanced section of the settings it says its running only on 4 x, how can i change this?
  2. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

Go into your BIOS, there should be an option to change the AGP speed, change it to 8x.
  3. Rory7

Rory7 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 119

wen i go into the agp options it only lets me select either 4x or flexible 8x or somthing. Anyway i left it as flexible 8x but it still says its running on 4x on my settings
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,704

If you're using the Gigabyte 8SG-800 motherboard listed in your profile, then the only thing keeping you from using 8x AGP is the setting in your BIOS.
  5. Rory7

Say what? it doesnt give me the option to put it on 8x, just flexible 8x which just seems to be 4x. Am i missing what your saying here?
  6. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

dont worry about it. running it at agp 4x makes it 0.00000000000000001% slower
  7. Rory7

lol, thanks
  8. groudon39

groudon39 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Do you have the SMARTGART enabled in the control panel of the video card? I can change my AGP speed in there and then it verifies that the settings are correct during the next restart? Maybe you still have it on 4x in there? Just a thought, I'm a newbie at all of this;) groudon39
  9. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

The only diff you can do with SMARTGARt that would be any use would be to make sure that fastwrites are on which makes a much bigger difference than 8x or 4x AGP...
  10. Rory7

Well i got a big ole virus the other day and had to format. Once i reinstalled everything again it was on 8X, so no more worries.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.