RADEON 9200SE - Resource Conflict (Code 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya guys. Im new here!

Well I have the following problem.... In the device manager there is a yellow warning sign icon on my brand new RADEON 9200. I clicked on it twice and it said to go to Hardware Conflict Troubleshooter in Help code 12 (Resource conflicts). The Windows H.C. Troubleshooter couldnt help me. I took a screenshot of the "Resource Conflict" window, in hope that it would help you to solve my problem. It can be found here: http://members.chello.at/sladdi/ressourcen.JPG

I have the following system:
Pentium III 800MHz
256 MB RAM
VIA Mainboard 82C691 rev 194
3Com Network Ethernet card
Creative AudioPCI sound
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (Date 04/06/00)

Some VgaSave driver had taken the RADEON's place. If I turn off the VgaSave and re-install the ATI drivers, it gives me a black screen (but the usual Windows sound works) and I have to re-install Windows all over.

I re-installed Windows twice today, I also installed the latest 4in1 drivers for the chipset, I tried to solve this problem with plugging the network card intro a lower PCI slot, I also downloaded the most recent drivers for the RADEON 9200, but I had no luck so far.

:(

I would appreciate any help!!!

Best regards.
keno:grinthumb

Originally posted by tripleione
Are you having any problems in games or 3D applications?
No, as I said, the RADEON doesnt work. :( I am stuck with this VgaSave thing, 4bit colors at 640x480.

:blackeye:

Hmm... I really haven't any idea what could be the problem.

Maybe a reformat would help, if you are willing to go so far.

Originally posted by Keno19
No, as I said, the RADEON doesnt work. :( I am stuck with this VgaSave thing, 4bit colors at 640x480.

:blackeye:

I have the exact same problem.... Stuck with 4-bit... :/

The screen goes black when installing the drivers, right? And then never comes out of it?

I too, have had experiences with this while installing a 128MB Radeon 9200 on a couple of customer's XP systems. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but they were not made by ATI and had SDRAM, not DDRRAM. Maybe you have the same card?

Although I don't know much about your conflict if you have one, I do know how to fix your video card problem. The cause is Microsoft's built-in Radeon driver does not work with this card for some reason.

You will need to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 right before the XP logo is displayed. You will need to install the new Radeon drivers manually. The installer package will not work under safe mode.

Go to Device Manager and open "Display Adapters". Double click on "VGA Display Adapter" or similar and click the tab for "Drivers". Choose "update driver" select "Install from list or specific location". Then, select "Don't search, I will choose what driver to install" when given the option.

You can then browse for the folder where your graphics card drivers have been extracted to by the setup program in normal mode. This should be in the C:\ATI\(version number of the driver)\driver\2kxpinf.

When XP allows you to click on the "open" button, you know you are probably in the right place. Click "Open" and XP will begin installing the driver. You will be confronted with a list of at least two drivers (probably). One will have (microsoft corporation) at the end of the version number and the other should just say Radeon 9200 (I think). Select any of the drivers that DO NOT SAY MICROSOFT CORPORATION. Then continue to install this driver.

When you boot into Normal mode, your problem should be fixed.

And another possibility is your VGA controller is not install properly. You may want to install your motherboard drivers. For example, if you have a VIA chipset on your board, then you can downlad the latest Hyperion driver from www.viaarena.com and this will allow you to install your driver.

I have never experienced that the screen goes black!?
I just get "Code 12" Resource conflicts.... On My 128 MB Radeon 9200 it says "Powered by ATI", so I gues they are the manufacturer.
I don't have a video card problem, I just want my screan to show more than 4bit of color.... :(

//Karro

OK, I Followed Ricks advice.

But I only got this far:

"You can then browse for the folder where your graphics card drivers have been extracted to by the setup program in normal mode. This should be in the C:\ATI\(version number of the driver)\driver\2kxpinf. "

Then, Í don't get a list with 2 devices. It just installs something from the "2kxpinf" folder and then when I reboot Nothing has changed...

I don't have a clue what to do :(

I've seen this VGA save sh*t on someone's PC World PC..

I disabled VGA save and got a black screen rebooting and was forced to do a L-K-G Config... this was an ATI Card on in a Intel box.. so its not specific to ATI Radeon 9200's i'll be back later..

Vgasave driver shouldn't be removed. That's what is used in safe mode and when your gfx card doesn't have proper drivers.

Those resource conflicts aren't conflicts, actually, they're shared resources. You cut the image but on the left, doesn't it say "Teilen / ressource Konflikte"?

i know why

the main reason ati 9200 se always crashes is....

because it's kinda junk. I use it and i cant get through a day without having to restart my computer because a game crashed...

windows always blames it on the graphics card so it must be true, meaning the only soloution is to get a new graphics card!

I had the same problem with this graphics card, if you have an agp mobo and are running win xp then for some reason the graphics card has conflicts with the mobo i don't know if the same thing is happening to you, but that's what happened to me and I had to buy an agp graphics card.

4 bit colour and the black screen of death

I bought a 64Mb Club Radeon 9200SE to upgrade my old 440BX motherboard, 1998 vintage. It has an AGP 1.0 3.3v slot and was running a 32Mb GeForce2 MX400. The Radeon installation gave me a dreadful 4 bit resolution which couldn't be changed and a Code 12 warning about insufficient resources.

I found this thread and set about installing ATI drivers and avoiding the default Microsoft drivers. It went pear shaped and I ended up uninstalling the default VGA drivers used by XP for any graphics card. The result was that boot up would not pass the point at which the black screen loads - before the cursor appears and then the welcome screen. I ended up having to reinstall windows to restore the XP drivers for VGA graphics cards.

I didn't give up and tried again. Same 4 bit desktop and Code 12. I removed the modem and sound card which made no difference so I reckoned the resources problem must be in the BIOS. Eventually I reset the AGP aperture size in the BIOS which was 128Mb with the Geforce 2 card. I changed it to 64 Mb and at last I had a properly functioning Radeon 9200. It gives a better performance on my system than the GeForce 2. The appropriate AGP aperture size will probably vary with system spec and the onboard memory of the Radeon card. If I increase the AGP aperture size above 64 Mb I'm back to the 4 bit image.

Most people will have no problems with installing an ATI 9200 card but if your result is a 4 bit colour screen the answer as far as I can see is to reduce the AGP aperture size in the BIOS.

To get into the BIOS you need to repeatedly tap the F8 key as you are booting up. As I discovered, you need a standard keyboard and mouse. If you use a USB keyboard/mouse this is not enabled until you are in Windows. You can tap keys all day but you won't get into the BIOS. Graphics drivers are also best installed from Safe Mode - usually reached by holding the delete key as you boot up. You can play safe by choosing to upgrade the video card drivers in Device Manager rather than risk uninstalling those essential VGA Microsoft drivers. Again you need a standard keyboard. If your installation leads to the 4 bit colour screen, play around with Safe Mode and explore the BIOS. If these are new to you I suggest you go back to the old graphics card until you have mastered the basics of Safe Mode and BIOS.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back