Radeon 9550 256MB AGP Still Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangjangler

I post a couple days ago and didn't really get much of a response. I have a 256MB Radeon card that just one day decided not to work. I put it in a couple days ago and it worked fine for about 5 hours...then it just died again. When I start my computer it just has a black screen and my monitor goes to sleep.

It shouldn't be my power supply. I have a new 500watt Ultra X-Connect...not really sure what the problem is. :(

I really need some help.

my borther has the exact problem, also try omega drivers at www.omegadrivers.net

list all your specs but i think that the 500 watt should be more then enoph
if you feal confrtable, clean your card and make shore it is properly seated
your card doenst need an extwernal powersupply does it

It might be overheating. Some 9550s use a passive heatsink and some have a fan. Which do you have? If you have a fan, perhaps it's not working properly. In both cases perhaps the thermal compound between the heatsink and GPU is improperly applied. But if so, the only way to know would be to take it apart to check. I can understand if you didn't want to do this.

Getting a graphics card to work shouldn't be this difficult. It may be time to RMA it so you can get a new one.

BTW, I installed a Powercolor Radeon 9550 (w/fan) in a PC I built for my parents and experienced no problems then or since. No help to you, of course, but there it is.

Mine has just the heatsink and I checked to see if it needs an external power supply.

Also, what do the Omega drivers do?

Omega drivers are modded versions of the original Catalyst drivers. Check the website link in swker98's post for details.

In the first post in this thread, you said it worked fine for 5 hours. What were you doing during those 5 hours? I still suspect overheating and am trying to confirm the possibility. If not overheating, something has just gone wrong with the card. Either way I feel the solution is to get a new card. Just my opinion for the time being though.

I tried playing Battlefield 2 a bit. But it started going nuts after about 2 minutes of gameplay. The textures started getting garbled and pixelated. I also suspect overheating. Should I maybe move the card? I have my sound card in the PCI slot right below it... Maybe I should give it some space?

I got the Omega drivers and have the same problem. Have not tried BF2 yet though.

EDIT: I just tried BF2 and it still goes crazy after awhile. Some of the textures on weapons and buildings starting acting weird.

fangjangler said:
I also suspect overheating. Should I maybe move the card? I have my sound card in the PCI slot right below it... Maybe I should give it some space?

yea, its probably overhaeting, move the soundcard down if possable and see what happionds

So if it's at idle or if you're not doing anything too demanding, it's ok? Do you have a DVD drive? If so, will it play DVDs?

Yeah, try moving the sound card. Couldn't hurt to try.

Would overheating make it not want to start up when I start my computer?

I will try BF2 and a DVD in just a second. I will get back to you once I test it.

BF2 is still screwing up after moving the sound card. However, I am watching a DVD perfectly... While playing BF2 it was running at 41C.

I really wish I could get this card to work... :(

If it's still hot from overheating, it might prevent a restart until it cools.

Well, we know BF2 won't work long.

What about other games, too?

Just to confirm, that 41C is the graphics card, not the CPU, right? Because if it is the graphics card, then overheating doesn't appear to be the problem (as long as the utilities are reporting accurately).

yea 41 under battlfield 2 for a gfx card may even be concidered cool, where are you getting those temp readings from

My case has a temp meter on it so I can monitor temperature. I put the thermometer in the heatsink. BF2 worked fine when I first was using that card for a month or so.

I tried Civ VI and that worked. As of now, it is running at 34C idle.

EDIT: Here is my PC:
Athlon XP 3000+
VIA vt8237 motherboard(I got the Hyperion drivers)
1GB RAM
500watt Ultra Power Supply
Newest Omega Drivers

Not sure what else would really apply to this situation.

two things to try

open up your case and put a house fan in it , then run bf2 does the same thing happpion

run memtest86 on your ram to test it www.memtest.org

edit: i mean put the fan on the outside blowing in

My case has 8 fans total in it, with one 120mm fan blowing straight at all my cards. I also just played Unreal Tournament 2k4 on high settings with no problems at all.

Another strange thing with BF2 is that when I minimize then maximize it fixes all of the texture problems for a minute or so. Is this overheating?

EDIT: I have also got the "input signal out of range" message. I don't think it is a monitor poblem though, because I tried another monitor and had the same problem at startup.

Um I just shut my PC down and it wouldn't start up until I turned my power supply off completely on the back of my PC. Might that have something to do with the problem? Not sure if it does or not...

EDIT: Nevermind, it is not that. What happens is that I have to restart the computer like 5 times or more and then it will finally come on... Basically if I turn the PC off it sucks to get it back going, if I just restart it it is okay...but power off is BAD. :(

memtest is a ram testing program, downlaod it and eatehr put it on a flopy or a cd iso

theres a small chance ram may be causing your problem

let memtest run up to 8 passes whitch may take the night

you tired another card?

if another card works fine in the system then send the card back as it is mostlickely defietive

not nesserltly :slurp: how old is the card
i tihkn ati has a 3 year warntey
whos the make of your card

but i know how you feel when computers doent work good puke:
some makes will serivrce the card for you, you can contact them

I have the ATI Radeon and I don't think it is Diablotek or any of the smaller companies. I think it was manufactured by ATI.

How should I go about contacting them about replacing it?

EDIT: I got the card last summer. And it is weird because it mostly screws up just after I turn it off and then try to start up again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back