Radeon 9550 sapphire 256 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy S

hello, could some one help me. First time here and i found this site by googling radeon issues. I read the issue about gaming hang ups with this video card. Sounds simmillar to the problem my husband has with his games. Hang ups whenever. Done a system re install with all the updates re installed the games etc. After reading about Wallace's simmilar problems I turned on the asus probe and turned on the recording of the temp, voltage and fan speed. two of the fans, power and chassis don't register but the cpu does. While I'm writing this the temp is CPU 25 C and the MB is 31 C. So I will get him to play the games and see what happens with the temp. Volt now is Vcore 1.36
The games Larry plays are Comanche 4 and BHD. The games will hang up any time. Never at the same time.
Windows XP...updated
radeon 9550 ...updated
mother board...asus P5S800-VM
P4 3 ghz w/ 1GB of ram
We had the system fixed and updated by a reputable repair guy 2 weeks ago and now the hang up. please help if you can Thx.
Tammy S

By hang up do you mean the pc freezes(non responsive), or it reboots, or just acts "jerky"?

You could try testing your ram to see if it's ok.
This program can test your memory from windows.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Do you know what type of power supply you have? It's the box in the pc that a whole mess of wires go into, usually at the back top of the case. It should have a brand and wattage/amperage ratings.

Hello vnf4ultra,
before I re imaged the computer it would freeze, or reboot or acts jerky. Now it is unresponsive and ctrl alt del will even work. The screen flickers a bit as you hit the esc key or the ctrl alt del. At the same time the red think light is very faint and flickers slightly...or barely.
There are four fans. The hea sink at 2136 right now, the graphics fan, power fan and a chassis fan. The power supply is TR model P4-450w
Thanks for your help

I forgot to mention that your temps are ok, so you probably aren't having a overheating issue, as your 25 and 31C temps are cool. You don't really want it to be over 60C, so you're not really close to that.

I guess I also forgot to "welcome" you to techspot, so Welcome, hopefully we can help you out.

Some times rebooting issues can be caused by a cheaply made power supply. My friend had a power supply that didn't even have a brand, and it was called a 400w power supply, but it couldn't deliver stable power and his pc would randomly reboot when playing any game, but when not playing a game it was fine. I've never heard of "TR", so it might be suspect.
Reputable brands would be enermax, antec, ocz, fortron(fsp group), etc.

Also, having a bad stick of ram can make strange things happen, so you could test the ram about 5 times(500%) and if it passes, it likely isn't the problem.

When it goes down, you don't get any blue screens or any error messages do you?

Edit, you don't have anything, like your graphics card, overclocked at all do you? If you do have it overclocked(or if the graphics is just overheating), it can cause lock ups.
Hope you find the problem soon.

Thanks for you help, I will look into the power supply issue and I am in the process of checking the ram from the web site that you sent. I will run it and the asus probe while Larry playes his games to see if there is a problem.
After re imaging and updating the computer, he did get the odd error message and reported it to microsoft. I found a trojan and eliminated it as well as an uninstall and re install of the games and updates of the games. I've checked with macaffee on line scan, norton, spydoctor, and panda on line scan for any more trouble and all have found nothing. Since then it just locks up.
I don't understand over clocking
Thnx

Don't run memtest while running other programs, it should be the only program running.

Overclocking is making your processor or graphics card run faster than it's designed to run. It makes it faster, but can lead to instability and/or overheating problems. If you don't know anything about it, you likely don't have any overclocked components, unless someone else did it for you.

well memtest (86?) runs in dos boot anyway.. so u will find it pretty hard to have any other programs running...

also memtest 86, windows memory diagnostic tool etc. dont find all errors on every type of ram/mainboards..

so i wouldnt rely 100% on those tests.. my system for instance is totally "wr0ng" 0_X and it doesnt find any errors at all.. even when running 8 hours straight.

useless crap, at least in my case. /me kicks his case and is still hating every1.

Thanks guys for your help. I relayed the info to my repair guy and he could not beleive it. So he talked to his supplyer and found it to be true. the radeon 9550 is an overclocked radeon 9200 and needs an oversized fan to stop the computer from over heating. Now I just have to fix the problem and hope it solves the issues. Will let you know how it works out.
I did the memory test you recommended and found a few errors. There are two sticks of memory so I will remove one and test the other and so on. Could the memory have developed errors from overheating? The ram is only 5 months old and was put in with the new motherboard.
Thanks for all your help. It saved many $ in labour charges
Tammy S

I'm back.
So the graphics card crashed before i could install a new oversized fan. when the computer would be booting up the monitor would come up out of range. Once i removed the graphics card there has been no problems. But the visuals on the games are the pits. So what would be a good graphics card that would work with my motherboard P5s800-vm. and by what manufacture. There are so many out there.
As well what would be a good power supply.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back