Radeon 9600 Pro problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardiiboy

I recently gave my comp a good clear out and reformatted the hard drive. I reinstalled all my driver updates including all windows updates and my graphic card drivers (radeon 9600 pro) and catalyst 7.8 but now for some reason when i try to run WoW after about a minute my comp now decides to reset itself. Although i dont know much about computers but based on a lot of stuff ive read on forums all evidence points to something being wrong with my graphics card although device manager says its fine.
One of my friends says it might have something to do with my AGP settings but ive no idea what that is and he also said that formatting the hard-drive shouldnt have changed those settings from what they were before when WoW was running fine.
I did go into my BIOS and had a look at my setting although never changed anything after he told me it might be the problem. Even though ive no idea what to look for here are some of the settings i seen:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGP TIMING CONTROL:
AGP mode: Auto
AGP fast write: Disabled
APG apeture size: 256MB
AGP master 1 w/s write: Disabled
AGP master 1 w/s read: Disabled
AGP read synchronization: Disabled

FREQUENCY VOLTAGE CONTROL:
Spread Spectrum: Enabled
CPU FSB clock: 100mHz
CPU Ratio: Auto
CPU VCore: 1.650
DDR Voltage: Auto
Dynamic Overclocking: Disabled
AGP voltage: Auto

Heres my system info:

Operating System
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model
MSI MS-7021 1.0

Processor
1.25 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives
122.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
107.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y120L0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 0

Memory Modules

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 122.93 GB 107.49 GB free

Display
RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
LGE 700S [Monitor] (16.3"vis, October 2003)

Bus Adapters
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Other Devices
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Generic USB Hub
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope some of this info helps. I would greatly appreciate any help on the subject as ive tried everything i can think of. Its very frustrating because the game worked fine before and now doesnt. :(

Did you remove the CPU?
Next time you clean you don't have to remove anything, just get a can of dust remover well two if it's really dirty and blast away..

Just go back and check all the connections correctly. Again not rush take your time. When you say you re-formated the HDD did you do it using XP format to a new NTFS or did you use Quick format to NTFS and re-installed XP?

Next time do a delete old partition and Full Format.

I didnt open the computer at all just cleared the memory. When i reformatted i used XP to delete the partion and created a new one and didnt do it in quick mode. Just checked connections and they all seem fine. :(

When you reinstalled ALL your drivers the first thing you did was install the chipset drivers?

First thing i done after reformatting was to install all windows updates, then realtek AC97 drivers, then updated graphics card drivers. Apart from that i havent made any other system updates i dont think

u need to install the chipset drivers before installing the video or sound card drivers.

Decided to start from scratch. Reformatted HDD by deleting the partion and creating a new one. Downloaded windows updates then downloaded MSI Live Monitor where i updated my chipset drivers, then i downloaded RX850XT Platinum-VTD256 (i was unsure which one was suitable from my card but after reading a forum post i found out that any VGA Driver listed on MSI Live would be compatible) Downloaded the other drivers for my soundcard.
Then I tried a game out and the comp reset itself again! Then i tried d/loading catalyst 7.4 but it didnt make any difference as comp reset itself again. Losing my sanity........ :(

Display
RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
LGE 700S [Monitor] (16.3"vis, October 2003)

Why does that card show as being primary AND secondary? Is that normal? I have never had AGP.

yardiiboy said:
I didnt open the computer at all just cleared the memory. When i reformatted i used XP to delete the partion and created a new one and didnt do it in quick mode. Just checked connections and they all seem fine. :(

Did you disable ONBOARD Video in the BIOS, that's if your have that feature? Could be ATI card acting up..

D/loaded everest and took a note of CPU temp (47'c. 1.63v) but couldnt see GPU temp. Played a game and CPU temp only rose to 50'c. Couldnt see Onboard video feature in BIOS. Dont think i have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back