Radeon 9600 PRO with nForce2 chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a desktop that I built myself, and I'd like to go up to the DirectX9 compatible video cards... basically so that I can play some of the latest games, such as Battlefield 2142.

So, can I do this on a budget (without making a whole new system @ $1k or more)?

Here are the specs:
Processor: AMD XP 1800+ (1.53 Ghz) - yes, I know it is under the 1.7 Ghz recommended for Battlefield
Ram: 512mb @ 266 Mhz
Motherboard: Epox 8RDA3I PRO (nForce2 Ultra 400, AGP 8X)
Audio: Onboard 6 channel AC '97 codec

I looked at the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO @ $60 from Newegg, but I heard about compatibility issues with nVidia chipsets.
My threshold is about $75 that I'm willing to spend on an upgrade. After that price, I'd probably look to build a whole new system (or just buy the xbox 360).

F1N3ST said:
Ya, it should be fine, because its probably better than a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4.

I wouldn't say that. Usually with the AMD line, the performance rating is the model number. For instance, my Athlon 64 3500+ is rated at 3500MHz (3.5GHz).

The 1800+ is 1.53Ghz, ~200Mhz shy of the 1.7Ghz "requirement". While some things are absolute requirements (such as DirectX 9), I figure some "requirements" can be fudged, like processor speed.

I'm really just hoping to play the Battelfield series, without upgrading to a whole new system for at least a year or so.

Well, 3.5Ghz of what lol? Netburst POS. But 1800+=1.8Ghz, which is above the requiirement. And a 1.8Ghz Celeron D would NOT meet the requirement. Well, it would on paper, but not really in real gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back