TechSpot

radeon 9600.....

By r_nelson
Sep 5, 2004
  1. hi, i recently bought a radeon 9600 from ebay. it is the connect3d version with the basic heatsink and no fan. i was wondering how to tell what version (i.e. se, pro xt etc.) it is. i ask because in dxdiag it says its xt, in comman debug it says pro but i didnt think the pro or xt versions came without a fan on the heatsink.
    cheers guys
    Richard

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

Can you try to find the part number on it?

If it's an XT it'll have either part nr 6046 or 6056 and if it's a regular 9600 it'll be 6035 or 6037.
    I can not find a 9600 pro on their product pages so I doubt it's that...

3. r_nelson

r_nelson TS Rookie Topic Starter

there is a sticker on the back that has the number 6035 so i guess its the regular. why then does it say its an xt in dxdiag and a pro in debug?
    also in device manager there is a secondary device under display (radeon 9600 series - secondary). is this normal?
    cheers for the swift reply garibaldi
    rich

4. MrGaribaldi

Well, since you bought it through ebay I guess the person who sold it to you have modified it with a new BIOS which makes it known as XT. (But why it shows up as Pro I have no idea...)

Sorry I couldn't be as swift with this reply, but I had to get some sleep...

As for the secondary device, yes that is normal.
    You can have 2 monitors connected to the card, and so ATI has added a secondary display.

5. r_nelson

r_nelson TS Rookie Topic Starter

ive jus checked the bios version and it is:
    bk-ami ver008.011.006.000.
    i dont know anything about vid card bios flashing really so is this an updated bios or the standard? im assuming it can only be a good thing that is is showing up as an xt??
    cheers again for the replies garibaldi!
    rich

6. MrGaribaldi

I've never been into overclocking video cards, so I don't know too much about it.
    But I guess it's safe to say that as long as it works as it should, giving you no artifacts or such, I wouldn't worry overly much.

The only problem that might arise is that it will burn out (die) faster than it should.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.