Radeon 9700 Pro Retail vs OEM???

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

What is going to be the difference between buying the retail version of the Radeon 9700 Pro versus the OEM version??

extra software, free games, and a pretty box and a bigger price tag come on the retail, also usually a longer warranty.

Also sometimes adpater cables - such as s-video out and such will come with retail.

If I were you, I'd go with the retail. You don't wanna miss out on all the extra g00dies and stuff that come with it. However, if you were buying, say, a cpu, definitely go with oem.. there isn't really anything extra that comes with the retail besides the warranty. :p

I'll tell you what the difference is, cause I bought a OEM, your speed on the OEM will be 300/530, and the retail will be 325/600?, get the retail its faster and you can overclock it easier.

In some recently instances, retail seems to be clocked faster than OEM.

This is entirely untrue with other hardware.. But video cards do this.

Of course, the product itself is identical. Chances are it is merely "underclocked" to deter OEM sales to average consumers.

Hey Rick you think if I put a new fan and heatsinks on the card and changed it bios (just read about this) I could OC like a Retail one?

Most definitely. And you could probably overclock it well beyond the retail card's standard specs. Of course, it will only overclock as well as the retail card, if as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back