Radeon 9800 not plugged in red prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru1thirst

I have a Radeon 9800 pro and recently I started getting a prompt on restarts of my computer that say my Radeon 9800 is not currently plugged in to power source. Please plug in and restart computer. Now this is not exactly what it says but close. Not if I do a cold boot it will start up fine about 50% of the time but on restarts for things like updates that need the computer to restart for them to take effect, I get the prompt every time. I've just dl the latest ATI Cat. drivers from Ati site and I'm still getting the same prompt that is in RED by the way. Not a bsod but red. Has anybody ran into this or know what the problem is or where I should start? Thanks.

Well, I'd start by checking the auxilliary power plug on the end of the card to see if it has come loose. If it is a molex plug, you might try another free plug in case something is wrong with it. It might also be possible there is something wrong with the power supply.

The connection mailpup is talking about looks like this:

r9800pro_kort_power_small.jpg

Thanks guys for the quick response and the pics. All helped. I'm not exactly sure what worked but I checked connections, connected to another free plug and I plugged my computer into its own surge protector that is the only thing plugged into that outlet. The combo seems to have worked. 4 restarts and no prompt! Thanks again!

If the problem pops up again, I'd suspect the PSU (as a first guess). It may be a sign that it is on it's last legs.

Have you added any hardware lately? Maybe your PSU is being stressed past it's limits?

Ya, the psu is what I was worried about. It may be history soon. The only hardware that I've added is an external hd but it has its own ps. I may start shopping for a new psu. Any suggestions on brands. I think I have a 450 watt Antec (sp) now?

Generally, antec make good quality PSUs... Unless you confirm that this is the problem, no need to replace it. For a system with a 9800pro, that should be plenty of juice.

Software based tests are not all that reliable, but have a look anyways. Download and run "speedfan" on your computer and see what your voltages are reported as on the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back