Ok, I have been at this for some time now and it is ready to drive me crazy

Athlon XP 2500+
Asus a7n8x Deluxe
350 no name PSU
120 gig Maxtor HD
Cd-rw
dvd-rom
Built by Ati Radeon 9800 Pro

I recently put together this system and it looked like everything went in ok.

However when I turn the PC on it boots and posts but the screen is all garbled and there is lots of distortions in the words and strange colors and stripes.

I can get into CMOS but it is hard to make out what is in there.

Things I have tried:
Trying new 430Watt Antec True Power PSU with just video card and mobo plugged in

Disabling Fast Write capability

Cleaning video card contacts with eraser

I received the card used and was modded with a Gilman Gold Heatsink and a 40mm 8000rpm fan. I am positive that the card was working when it was sent to me. So the only explanation is that it got messed up in transit OR there is something I need to be doing like flashing the bios or other to make it work.

I hope that someone has an answer isnt time to get another card, but that seems to be the final conclusion that I am drawing.

I have the same problem with my 9700 Radeon. I'm suspecting it has something to do with the card boot up or the drivers. Try restarting. Mine comes up clean if I restart.
Once in a while my card locks up. oh well. . .
I also have a Leadtek TV card but I'm not really sure if there is a driver conflict.:confused:

Originally posted by baronvf

Things I have tried:
Trying new 430Watt Antec True Power PSU with just video card and mobo plugged in

You have narrowed the problem down to one of those three components then. Personally, I'm leaning toward faulty card, but it is possible that the mobo could have a fault. Try another card and see if the problem persists, if not, the card is dying.

Faulty cards do actually make it out of the factory. I had one, as have several others here. Try another/different card first to verify.

Rare occurance

Not recently I have had corruption upon boot but after restart was fine.
I cleaned (with Radio Shack contact cleaner) the card contacts and reseated in the motherboard.
I believe it is touch sensitive and need to keep grounded handling it.
I have tried three Bios and three drivers sets and have not seen it for awhile.
This 9800pro card is brand new.

Corruption

Hi I had thee exact same corruption in green speckles also and in d3d and opengl really bad page tearing. Turned out to be damaged ram chips on the card and im currently awaiting my replacement. :confused:

I have almost the exact same problem with my new system.

Athlon XP 3200+
Gigabyte 7NNXP
2 x 80GB Maxtor hdd
dvd burner
AiW 9800 Pro
Antec 380W psu

I had a lot of trouble getting the system to POST at first, but I saw that it was recommended to *not* use Gigabyte's dual power source add-on, so I pulled that out and now it boots every time. I still have a problem with distorted graphics though. I can get into the BIOS menus, but I can't really read them and I'm unsure of what I should change anyway. The system appears to work, but I can't even really install an OS cause I can't tell what is on the screen.

Have you had any luck resolving the problem?

Coincidentally, both of our motherboards have the nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset. I'm not spouting conspiracy theories, but I wonder if the chipset has anything to do with it...

Just for grins try this (I had to)
Turn off Fast writes and write combining - reboot
Turn on only one of them - reboot
When I did this the corruption I had went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back