TechSpot

Radeon 9800 PRO crashing in direct3d

By ufctom
Jul 17, 2006
  1. Hello. Great forum. First post.

Ny pc crashes anytime I envoke a 3d application such as a game (running radeon 9800 pro for two years now without problems till now).

1. any games I run freezes with blurred graphics or in case of Oblivion - graphics are all over the place but doesn't crash. It seems like a mixture between snow and 3d shapes jutting out in all direction. A classic overheat look.

2. dxdiag shows the spinning cube all fuzzy and not properly rendered

3. atitool simply crashes the computer as soon as I press test or show render etc.

4. movies generally run well unless its in windows media player where i get a snowy white dots effect

5. any other time, the pc runs perfect even under heavy load

What i may have done to stuff things:
    1. recently installed tiny firwall & nod32
    2. recently vacuumed pc ...may have been rough on the internals
    3. recently plugged in a tv card & plugged to antenna...i thought I detected a hint of current through the antenna. since then I disconnected & took the card out

So my question is:
    Can someone help indentify the problem?
    I think the problem is a stuffed gfx card but want to confirm before i buy a new one. Any help much appreciated.

Tom

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

That overheating look is called artifacting and it is usually a sign of the video card overheating or the power supply not being able to supply enough power to the card.

3. ufctom

ufctom TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks.
    So I will unplugg unnecessary devices to eliminate power. After that it leaves overheating.

So why would it decide to overheat just like that you think? Do you think I should clean the whole unit again to get more dust out? Maybe I bumped the fan on the gfx card or something?
    I'll give these a go to see what happens. Cheers

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

To test the PSU theory, use a PSU from another PC to see if it gives the same error. That would make sure of the PSU is the problem factor.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.