Radeon 9800 PRO crashing in direct3d

By ufctom
Jul 17, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello. Great forum. First post.

Ny pc crashes anytime I envoke a 3d application such as a game (running radeon 9800 pro for two years now without problems till now).

1. any games I run freezes with blurred graphics or in case of Oblivion - graphics are all over the place but doesn't crash. It seems like a mixture between snow and 3d shapes jutting out in all direction. A classic overheat look.

2. dxdiag shows the spinning cube all fuzzy and not properly rendered

3. atitool simply crashes the computer as soon as I press test or show render etc.

4. movies generally run well unless its in windows media player where i get a snowy white dots effect

5. any other time, the pc runs perfect even under heavy load

What i may have done to stuff things:
    1. recently installed tiny firwall & nod32
    2. recently vacuumed pc ...may have been rough on the internals
    3. recently plugged in a tv card & plugged to antenna...i thought I detected a hint of current through the antenna. since then I disconnected & took the card out

So my question is:
    Can someone help indentify the problem?
    I think the problem is a stuffed gfx card but want to confirm before i buy a new one. Any help much appreciated.

Tom
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

That overheating look is called artifacting and it is usually a sign of the video card overheating or the power supply not being able to supply enough power to the card.
  3. ufctom

ufctom Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks.
    So I will unplugg unnecessary devices to eliminate power. After that it leaves overheating.

So why would it decide to overheat just like that you think? Do you think I should clean the whole unit again to get more dust out? Maybe I bumped the fan on the gfx card or something?
    I'll give these a go to see what happens. Cheers
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

To test the PSU theory, use a PSU from another PC to see if it gives the same error. That would make sure of the PSU is the problem factor.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.