Radeon 9800 Pro keeps crashing durring video games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike066604

i have a Radeon 9800 pro, and about 7 months ago all my video games started
crashing and i would have to do a manual restart. Then in the properties tab
under hardware it showed multimedia video was missing, and all video that i watched on my computer would have red and blue lines running through it. i reinstalled windows and no longer is the multimedia video missing, but there is still the same problem with playing video games and watching DVD's. i have read a lot of online forums about the same problems with the video games stopping for this video card and having to do manual restarts but not about any of the blue and red lines. and none of the forums have a solution for this problem. i have updated everything i could possibly think of.

if anyone has had the same problems please help me?

i really dont wanna buy a new video card. thanks.

Update chipset drivers for your motherboard.
Update video card drivers (from ati).
Ensure your GPU is running within safe temperature range.

That is about all you can do, if you still have problems its time to get a new card.

i have done all that, and still the same problems. im guessing im going to have to get a new video card.

any ideas on what i should get now? i heard that the 9700 pro has the same problem after 4 or 5 months.

A Geforce 7600GT AGP or a X1650XT card would be a great replacement. However, AGP cards tend to be a bit expensive.

Is the crashing random or does it consistently happen? such as starting a game or dvd? I've given up on my 9800. It worked great for a long time. Then I randomly started having crashing problems. My eventual solution was to reformat (as cleaning/reinstalling drivers, Windows OS, etc didn't help). That fixed the problem for a while. Then, like an *****, I decided one day to update my drivers, which sent me into a melee of instability and crashing. Rolling back to the old drivers didn't help a thing. I eventually reinstalled windows and used the last known working drivers. My system is stable, but it will crash randomly during gaming or web browsing. However, the problem happens less frequently now so I don't get AS frustrated. Also to note, heat is not the issue. It is just as likely to crash a fresh boot or after being on all day.

So anyway, my advice is to reformat and start over. :) Or get a new computer like me. You could probably get a new AGP video card for about $40 these days.

edit: nevermind, that was pci

it only crashes when im playing video games. i used to have problems with it just starting up, it would get to the windows boot screen and then reboot itself again. i think im gonna buy a new ATI video card that way i dont worry about changing around drivers and whatnot and hope that it will work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back