Radeon 9800 Pro Problem (Need a good driver?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have had my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro for around 2-3 years now and I have never had any trouble. Recently its started to just drop out and my computer has restarted. I have been using the drivers that came with my card and they were good for me. Then it got worse and I saw like squares of graphics missing in my Open GL Games I play. I play Counter-strike 1.6 from Half-Life Engine. Now in this game I have like squares where I can't see all over the screen in a regimented fashion. Basically the graphics are messed up. I tried re installing my old drivers after deleting the new ones and it just crashed my computer. So now im running on no drivers so i can look on this forum.

Please can someone give me a driver that works, and is good for openGL and will help me out. The new 9.2 drivers just crash my system :S.

I tried to explain it best I can just I Need the best driver for OpenGL on a Radeon 9800 Pro. If anyone else can see another problem other than the driver please give me your feedback. Many Thanks All

Aaron

I worked out that you must have Vista, as the new drivers state Ver9.11 (not 9.2)

Before installing the latest drivers (as you have already done anyway)
Download and run:

Then Restart

Then install the latest divers again

I don't have vista, I have Windows XP Home.

Okay so I have got the drivers.. now it doesnt even let me in the game it just chucks me out when I load it up. Also when im scrolling on web pages it isnt smooth it loads the page up each time i scroll down :O

Did not work, anyone else other ideas? Or possibly a new idea ? :)

Please help! :(

I'd chance a guess that it might be starting to die on you. Radeon 9700/9800s seem to have an abnormally short working life, and I've seen many of them die prematurely. It seems to be just an inherent problem with the core design. Your problem may have a solution, but I have no idea how to fix it, and I think it's possible that the card is simply starting to die.

MetalX as much as I dislike your answer very very much I think yours could potentially be closest to the truth. Although I would like to try everything everyone says and potential theories people have as I still can watch movies and whats not in HD. So im not sure is it dead? Its only screwed up when im using OpenGL. Which sucks for me as I like to play games. Thanks for the feed back, im going to get off to bed now and have another crack at it tomorrow morning. Thanks again guys will continue to read back here every day and try news ideas. Otherwise by the end of the week it looks like im spending part of my pay cheque on a new gfx card :(... The wife will kill me lol ;)

Oh you could just remove the card, and then using high pressurized air can (bought fro electronics and computer repair shops) and blow out the card (and ideally in the computer - power supply; Fans; Ports)

Sometimes this may work, anyway I'd try it before purchasing a new card

Oh you could just remove the card, and then using high pressurized air can (bought fro electronics and computer repair shops) and blow out the card (and ideally in the computer - power supply; Fans; Ports)

Sometimes this may work, anyway I'd try it before purchasing a new card

Thankyou kimsland I will try this and keep you updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back