TechSpot

Radeon 9800 pro with celeron?

By Jayce
Apr 9, 2004
  1. Hi I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card to a Radeon 9800 pro but was wondering if its worth doing as I have a 2.4 gig celeron chip inside at the moment, Is it worth getting the 9800 pro or will the 9600 be better suited?
    really I mean will the 9800 pro experience problems because of a slightly slower cpu than recommended?
    thanks

2. foulsoul

foulsoul TS Rookie

I havent hurt of a faster card having problems with a slower cpu. But you might not get as much out of it compared to someone with a faster cpu. but then again a celeron 2.4 might be plenty fast enough. and these days game performance is all about the video card.

3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

Yea i've never heard of that either.. so such thing I dont think :D Get the 9800 PRO! [but your cpu is REALLY holding you back, a 2.4Cele probably performs around [eye-balling this one] a 1.6P4]

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Yeah, you won't be able to run all games smoothly, but you'll be able to run them at higher resolution and more graphical texture details.

Geometry details, shadows, particle effects and etc.. Usually rely more on CPU power.

5. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

Spread you cash around a bit. For the same price as a 9800 Pro you should be able to pick up a 2.4ghz P4 (533/800Mhz FSB depending on motherboard/ram) nad a 9600XT/5900XT which would be much better for gaming.
    Why dont you post up your system specs - then we can give better recommendations :D
    btw - Welcome to Techspot :wave:

Steg

6. Jayce

Jayce TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi, essentially its this pc here, not really that great but it does a good job, Im not sure if themotherboard could handle a pentium chip but I'm not sure what motherboard is inside, could check.
    http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/111801/6152766.html#
    it seems to have only one spare power cable inside, would the 9800 get enough power from it or rather is it compatible?, thanks
    Jayce

7. Jayce

Jayce TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just to add, the motherboard is an IM845G I think.
    Thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.