radeon 9800xl: can't extend desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

i'm using a dual-vga [note: NOT vga/dvi] card from medion electronics. whenever i try to extend the desktop to the second monitor, the dialog grays-out the monitor icon and unchecks the box. as far as windows is concerned, the second output isn't connected. both monitors display fine in safe mode and when the machine is booting [same image displayed twice]. by the time windows boots and a user logs in, the image is displayed on only the primary monitor. the secondary monitor is black.

while i can buy a new 9800 [if i sell this one], buying a card which isn't agp and dual vga [for example vga+dvi] isn't an option. i have two vga monitors and don't have the funds to buy two digital monitors, and i've already gone through two dvi/vga adapters [they don't seem to be made very well... :( ].

here is some supplementary information:
--------------------------------------
* in the windows display properties dialog, settings tab: if i select the secondary monitor, then check 'extend my desktop...' and click 'apply', the screen flickers, but the secondary monitor is returned to grayed-out again, and the desktop still stays on only one monitor.

* same thing within ccc; if i try to enable the 2nd monitor from within the ccc by right-clicking on the icon, the screen flickers, but the secondary monitor is returned to grayed-out again, and the desktop still stays on only one monitor.

* if i click on the 'advanced' button, there aren't any 'ati' tabs, only the usual windows ones. i was using a radeon 9600 before, and i remember there were more tabs in the previous version of the control center.

* getting the properties of the 'RADEON 9800 SERIES - Secondary' monitor, windows reports the adapter is working fine.

* the ati ccc icon displays fine on the right-mouse menu if i click the background, as well as in my system tray.

* in the ati ccc, on the 'displays manager' section, the only monitor selectable in the 'graphics adapter' pull-down menu is the primary vga.

* selecting 'clone main...' or 'stretch main...' to the 2nd monitor does nothing either.

* in event manager, i have a system error logged when i try to extend the desktop: 'CRT invalid display type'
the source of the error is 'ati2mtag'

* i've tried using several different versions of the ati drivers [5.10, 6.2, 7.7, 7.8] as well as the 'official' drivers from medion [from 2003 :eek: ]. changing versions doesn't help.

* i've tried using just the driver w/o ccc, and that doesn't help either.

here is what dxdiag tells me about the card:
-------------------------------------------
Card name: RADEON 9800 SERIES
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4E48)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6715 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/28/2007 05:30:45, 269312 bytes

here is what ccc tells me:
-------------------------
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset RADEON 9800 SERIES
Device ID 4E48
Vendor 1002
Subsystem ID 8500
Subsystem Vendor ID 1787
Bus Type AGP
Current Bus Setting AGP 8X
BIOS Version 008.015.046.001
BIOS Part Number A8934M7.106
BIOS Date 2003/09/16
Memory Size 128 MB
Memory Type DDR SGRAM / SDRAM
Core Clock in MHz 351 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 311 MHz
Primary Display Yes

Driver Packaging Version 8.401-070727a-050960C-ATI
Catalyst® Version 07.8
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6715
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{43056BFF-AE1C-4A87-830A-05EC2F342368}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0517
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.6747
Catalyst® Control Center Version 2007.0727.2307.39475

any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!

thanks
t8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back