Radeon HD 7850 has flickering lights appearing on 3d games?

TeruTeru

I had tried playing Dota 2 last night with my new rig just to test how much the graphics would differ from my old one. Upon launching it, I noticed some white horizontal lines appearing in the screen and only in the game.

Researching the problem, people seems to have been complaining about the AMD series and this particular problem for a while now. But in some cases, people had already fixed this problem. I was wondering if anyone would be familiar with this and could help me with it.

The rig's GPU is a HIS Radeon HD 7850 and the monitor is a 19" LG one with only VGA. I am using a VGA to DVI converter that was included in the GPU box (the screws are a bit loose on this one so maybe this contributes to the problem?),

I already had downloaded AMD's Catalyst 13.5 but it didn't solve the problem. Currently losing confidence on AMD cards now. Probably should've bought a 650ti Boost instead. I prefer not to give up on the GPU though if possible.

See if you can tighten the screws at all, but I highly doubt thats the problem, More likely a driver problem. It comes for some and doesnt for others in AMDs case as far as I can tell.

Just tightened the screws on the VGA > DVI converter. I just noticed though that I'm using Catalyst Control 13.4. Currently downloading 13.5 beta to see if it'd be any better.

Okay, the issue had been fixed by setting an option in the game's system from V-Sync Off to On. Not really sure what it did but it's all good now I guess. Thanks for the help ikesmasher.

V-sync just matches your in game fps to the refresh rate of the monitor in example 60hz= fps capped to 60 max

Looks like I spoke too soon. After playing a couple of games the flickering goes back. Tweaking the video settings and restarting the game seems to fix it though. But most of the times, I just ignore it since you can't really notice it much during the game. My only concern now is if ignoring this issue would cause bad effects in the future.

Back