Radeon IGP 320M

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop is a Presario 2100, and it came with the grafics card Radeon IGP 320M. This grafics card is made by ati, but doesnt evan appear on there web site. It seems like im the only one with this Grafics card. Any help or suggestions......

One more thing, is it possible to change ones grafics card in a laptop or get an external one?

That is an integrated card so you don't change it ,it is right on the board .You might be able to add a mobile Video card.

BUT changing the Vid card on a Laptop is dicey at best. You would be wise to do a LOT of investigation before attempting this. For example ,the bios for most large companies are limited in the owner's ability to affect configuration of different components.

I do not know of an External Video.

And Welcome to Techspot!

If you are after newer drivers for this graphics card, then ATi will not provide drivers for laptops (this is explained on there website)

but...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

provides drivers which are based on the standard ATi drivers, but are modified so that they will work with almost all laptops that use ATi graphics.

Thanks for replying but..

why is it my grafics card doesnt appear on any of their web sites, the only information about it is archived news when it first came out. Im asking because i want to get a game called World of Warcraft, and it has a list of ATI Radeon video cards that work, and ones that dont work. Basically it says all cards above 7000 will work, but my card doesnt have a number, just IGP. Any thaughts?

Calling the IGP(Integrated Graphics Processor ?) a video CARD is really a mistake.It is an integrated chip on the Motherboard.These are proprietary to the Laptop manufacturer , and ATI does not normally support these items they are OEM.
Your best bet is to search online or contact Compaq(I think they made Presario) and find out if you can put a Video card in that machine and what models are compatible.
Also try sending the makers of that Game an email(customer service /support) asking if they know if your machine's configuration is sufficient .The performance of that IGP may have been tested,

Thanks, I always thaught it was a video card, since its name is anywhere a video card's name would go. That explains many things. Thank you. and ill try contacting them :D

hp pavilion ze4801ea and radeon IGP 320M

Hi new here and this is an unashamed cry for technical advice. My computer is a hp pavilion ze4801ea laptop (yes old i know :mad: ) and i recently updated to 1gb of ram. Want to play games but completely uncertain of the graphics ability of the computer to handle newer games. the graphics card (or whatever it is) is a Radeon IGP 320M. I found an article at http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2003/4637.html which states "The Radeon IGP family also allows the users to upgrade their systems with a discrete performance graphics chip, such as ATI’s Mobility™ Radeon® 9600."
Now, i have no idea what the motherboard in my laptop is nor how to find out. I cant find tech spec for the laptop on the net i guess cos its such an old model. So... am wondering if somebody with a little more know-how than me can tell me whether i can update the graphics card and if so how much is it gonna cost me? all options including replacing the motherboard will be considered :D

ps chip is :D AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+

There is a reason Laptop sales are so steadily increasing.One reason is the dificulty involved in upgrading hardware(Other than Ram & HDD's)
If you insist on upgrading your machine I would recommend going to a local Laptop reseller/technician Shop and get first hand info from them.
However, you will find with the prices of Laptops these days , you will be much further ahead investigating this route.
You can get better graphics than the 9600,more ram,bigger HDD etc under $650 U.S.
Changing an onboard chip is a crap shoot, even for a professional. I just don't think it is worth it.
Let us know what you discovered.

IGP stuff

ok thanks for the advice, sounds like its not to be attempted. shame i dont have the cash to buy another, cant really justify buying a new computer just to play games either. i primerally use my comp for essays and stuff not really a gaming machine. :( still might drop it into a few computer shops, see what their opinion is!

onboard chip

btw i dont think the article was suggesting replacing the onboard chip i think it was suggesting that you simply add a new grapics card and disable the onboard one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back