radeon x1300 pro AGP 256mb issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just recently purchased an x1300 pro AGP 256mb card for my PC and have had some issues. let me run down the history first.

i bought the card roughly 7 weeks ago and it worked fine initially. then about 5 weeks after buying it, i had a hard drive failure. along with the hard drive failure, the video card would not work either. i would boot up and would just get a garbled display. i tried a different video card, and it was working fine. no matter how many times i tried the x1300 was dead, so i replaced it about 2 weeks ago with a brand new x1300 pro.

then last night i was playing doom 3, when the screen froze and went all white. i reboot, and the screen comes back up all white. the interesting thing is, the PC was working fine with the display problem. i booted into windows, and when the hard drive LED on the front quit flickering, i logged in and could hear sounds from windows, even a cutout in the white screen in the form of a little black box where my mouse was. then it locked up and i rebooted the machine yet again.

after this i opened the case, jiggled the card around a little, blew some compressed air in there, and rebooted. alas, it works fine. fastforward 10 hours later when i wake up in the morning, and i turn on the monitors after leaving them off all night, and the screen is yet again white after being on all night.

i do leave my machine on all day and the CPU fan is running loud (but still spinning and not overheating), so maybe that MIGHT have something to do with it.

anyway here are my specs...

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Motherboard - MSI MS-6712
Chipset - VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400/A/600
RAM - 1.5 GB PC2700 DDR
OS - Windows XP latest service pack & updates
Video Card Driver - 8.221.0.0
VIA 4in1 - i am not sure, if this makes a difference, plz direct me to the URL to download it. i believe i have all of these updates as i had another issue with my video card months ago and updated all these VIA drivers.

Try to update the drivers, or if you have the newest ones, downgrade to the drivers given when you bought the card.

cfitzarl said:
Try to update the drivers, or if you have the newest ones, downgrade to the drivers given when you bought the card.

i found they have new drivers as of 9/20, i shall try. thanks for the suggestion. i have a feeling it won't do the trick, but for what it's worth i've had this machine up for about an hour since i woke up and it hasn't done this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back