TechSpot

Radio breakthrough could double wireless performance

By Matthew
Feb 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Stanford scientists have discovered a breakthrough that could double the speed of wireless networks. The technology reportedly allows radios to simultaneously send and receive signals over the same frequency -- something previously thought to be impossible. "Textbooks say you can't do it," said Philip Levis, Stanford's assistant professor of computer science and electrical engineering.

Read the whole story

2. Very impressive indeed! I personally never thought it was possible.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,414   +116

Cool, wireless is the future (Actually the present but... not that exploited) so go breakthroughs go.

4. jeffz6

jeffz6 TS Rookie Posts: 78

Breakthrough? this is 2011, "Back to the Future" has us flying in hover cars in 3 years and we are still working on lag free communications.

5. lol that was a movie real life actually moves alot slower. With governments, corruption and oil companies we won't see flying cars for another 500years.

Hell we would probably be alot further ahead if it wasn't for some of the current systems in place that hold back progress.

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,369   +405

This definitely goes into the mind-blowing department. Man, technology is growing by some sort of leaps and bounds within the last decade.

But I still want to see the first holographic home video game. Then I'll know we've "arrived." ;)

7. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Yeah, and my movie script "The Year of Awesomeness" has interstellar worm hole travel, freeze dried Insta-Food (just add water!), shrink-rays, enlarge-rays (bom chica wa wa!), nuclear powered coffee machines, auto-scrubbing showers, cyborgs, solar powered brain chargers, printers that don't jam, teleportation, telekinesis, telepathy, television telephones, telephone televisions, telephone televisions with telepathic, telekinetic, and teleportation transmission terminals, and shorts that don't hike up your crack. And we're still working on lag free communications!

8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I laughed out loud while reading this! :)

9. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,087   +84 Staff Member

Haha, that's signature worthy wagan8r.

10. RaiDeR55

RaiDeR55 TS Rookie Posts: 45

I with you on that one Tom.. Me too

11. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 156   +8

hha
    thats has to be and is going to be the best user made post of twenty eleven!

12. Printers that don't jam? I call BS on your utopian vision.

13. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Well i thought we already had this technology but now i know we don't.

14. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

Aye, we can all hope..I fear i shall be an old man by the time though :(

Loads of wacky stuff like the hover car could in fact be made..There's already the technology available (like the marrage of the car with the Harrier jump jet for example). It all comes down to the "financially viable" side of things. I guess that's why there's no such thing as currency in Star Trek :D

I agree that this Radio breakthrough is very impressive.

15. The idea is very old. It' called the RF nulling technique. The main problem is that how much TX signal can be canceled. Let's do a simple calculation: Average WiFi TX signal 10 dBm, RX signal -70 dBm. So the TX/RX ratio is 80 dB. Say, you need 20 dB signal to noise ratio to correctly decode the signal. This means you need to suppress the TX signal from 10 dBm to -90 dBm: a 100 dB gap! Now, with a very expensive hardware, you may get the TX cancellation of less than 40 dB. So the remaining TX signal is still 60 dB higher than the RX signal. It's almost impossible to go any further. There have been many people in the past trying to solve this interference cancellation problem. Spread Spectrum is one of them. They all have serious limitation. I personally don't believe the current "Standford Idea" will go anywhere in near future. However, I do feel proud of these young researchers for their endeavor.

James

16. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,414   +116

The problem was that this was imposible according to books... and they cracked it... MIND BLOWING kind of stuff.

I'm also awaiting for the day printers wont jam... I will be so so happy that day...

17. Guest-borg

Guest-borg TS Rookie

Does this mean I can listen to two wirelesses at the same time, or would I have to turn the sound down on one of the wirelesses.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.