RAID 0 set problems

W

winggoblet

Hey everyone!

Yesterday I built in a watercooling system into my computer. Everything went smooth up until the point when I booted my PC and it didn't recognise my RAID 0 Set Anymore. The Raid controller sometimes only recogniced one disk, on other times it did recognise the HDDs but said "Invalid Logical Drive".
Well after trying a few times, I remembered that I maybe have to Plug in the HDDs in the same Ports as before I built in the watercooling system. So I plugged them back in the same way.
Now the Raid controller does recognise the Disks and the Raid0 Set. But the RAID controller says the logical drive has a size of 1583GB where the two disks have 2*278 GB.

I tryed booting from the RAID but after POST the computer just doesn't continue with loading windows but just hangs there, blinking. There is however NO "DISK ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK" message or something similar.

I plugged in the HDDs on the normal SATA ports and made a quick test with Seatools. So they should be physically okay.

Also I can't access the partitions or any Data. I tryed to get some idea of what's going on by using the ultimate boot cd. I could access the drive data in RAW Hex data, and could verify that the data is still there.

Quick Facts:
HDDs: 2 * Seagate Barracuda 300GB as Raid 0
Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo4
Controller: Sil3114
There were 3 Partitions, one with WinXP on it.

So my Questions are:
How can i fix the RAID so it works again (while keeping the Data)?
How can i save the data to another disk?

Well I tried a bit around but no real success so far.
Isn't there anyone out there who has an idea what's going on?

you need to provide more information. What OS are you using? Did you install the raid drivers? Did you check your BIOS settings?

I can't even get to OS because the RAID is broken ...
The double RAID size of 1583 GB is shown in the menue of the raid controller

But anyway: on the RAID there is Windows XP installed.
It had the correct raid drivers installed and I didn't change any BIOS options before the RAID broke. The RAID controller is still activated in the BIOS and everything else is as it should be.

What would happen if i just deleted the RAID set in the raid controller, and created a "new" raid set with the exact same settings (Chunck size 64)?

OK, i deleted the raid and recreated it with the same settings.
The tracks0 of the drives were deleted but the data was left intact.
I was able to recover my data with getdataback for ntfs.
the partition tables were lost however. I tryed to recover them with Acronis disk director without success.

the partition tables were lost however. I tryed to recover them with Acronis disk director without success.
yes, that's is how data is stored; the partition is like a box into which files are stored - - loose the box and there's no data to be found.

yeah i might be able to recover the partition tables as well since i saved the Track 0s from both disks. But i'm not going through that effort.
I recovered my data and set up a new system without raid 0 on a new HDD.

Back