RAID 0 to RAID 0+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I posted about trouble I was having with being unable to boot, missing or corrupted .dll file.
I'm running RAID 0, I think the system won't recognize the RAID drives, so I can't boot from CD.
Since this has happened before, I think 1 or both of my drives is failing or has a bad sector.

So, I want to install new HD's.
I want to run a RAID 0+1 now, for the added safety.
I am planning on buying 2 Raptor 10k rpm 36gb drives, with a 250gb WD SATA 7500rpm as the single drive.
Sound ok?
Questions:
1. Can I save any of the data on my current drives?
2. Can I install the OS and my games on the RAID 0, and install all other programs, files etc to the big, single drive?
3. Is this gonna be hard, really hard, or not that hard to do myself?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, also any pros/cons on 16mb vs 8mb cache on the big drive?

Thanks!

No point in going out to buy expensive stuff because you think something. Get the diagnostics utility from WD and test your hard drives - simple as that.

1. That depends on the damage. If one of the drives is completely dead, then there would be very little useful stuff that you can recover. (Stripe-sized bits of data)

2. Yes. Some programs have stupid installers that do not let you specify the target folder though.

3. That depends on what you are going to do. Creating an initialising a RAID array is not that hard whereas data recovery from a bad hard drive can be very tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back