Raid card for IDE drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cams

I have an old PC that I use as a file and media server for storing backups and streaming FLAC audio files to my Squeezebox devices. It has three identical 250 gig IDE hard drives installed and, at the moment, I'm using Linux on there and using symbolic links. However, what I would really like to do is to put Windows 2000 on it (Linux is driving me CRAZY) and raid 5 the three drives together. In the quick bit of research I've done, it seems that most raid cards are for SATA drives these days. Are there any PCI raid cards still out there that will support raid 5 and work with IDE drives?

Thanks
Cams

Does your motherboard have 2 Sata Raid connections ?
But you also need Sata hard drives.I don't think you can
convert an IDE to a Sata.It might be converted,but not the real thing.
It's has to be a Sata motherboard,with a Raid driver cd.

Why on earth woud he need a sata raid when he clearly states that all his drives are 250gig ide's. So why would he need sata's???
zipperman, you really should try reading posts properly.

Confuseing Title posted

Thats why.
It's quite confusing that Raid was even mentioned.
It gave me the impression his new drive was a Sata and he wanted to
convert the others to Sata.

This topic "problem" was badly described and actually unnecessary.
=================================================
Just do what the motherboard is capable of Cams.
"Read the Manual" Installing hard drive section"
An IDE converted to Sata if possible adds nothing but $ to your system.

Mindless Zombie,

He never asks about SATA.

He asks if there is some of PCI RAID card.
We still have it around the world. Your post was badly described and doesn't help him at all.
Why IDE covert to SATA? IDE is still perfect to use as RAID.

Edited = Forget about this Cams. Thanks Rik.

Thanks for the Google link Rik. I didn't think of searching for ATA. I found a 3Ware one at Newegg that looks like it would do a good job and I could even add another drive to the mix, giving me over a TB of storage [Link to newegg]. The 3Ware brand seems to be well thought of from the reviews that I've read.

Cheers
Cams

Im glad my information was of use.:) Siig used to be a very good make of ata raid card too.

there are thousands of IDE/PATA/ADA RAID drive cards out there. Most are PCI interface. You didn't say what motherboard you have. Many have this function built right in - especially if it is 4 years old or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back